If you are responsible for developing, implementing, or verifying a HACCP-based preventive control plan (or HACCP Program) in a food manufacturing establishment, this course will help you interpret and apply preventive controls (formerly Prerequisite Programs) which form the foundation of a food safety program that meets Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR). Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are presented as the primary means by which to implement these preventive controls (including those related to the facility, personnel, sanitation, equipment, shipping, receiving and storage, purchasing, recall, and allergens, among others). This course will also cover consumer protection measures including labelling, use of restricted ingredients and inputs, and grading requirements. The self-assessment quizzes, assignments, and discussion forums will build your confidence in SOP writing, monitoring, corrective action documentation, and verification activities. You will complete the course with practical examples of SOPs and related documents that are ready to employ in any food manufacturing establishment. Once you successfully pass this course with a 70% grade, BCIT issues a badge in the Food Safety Preventive Controls and HACCP Plans micro-credential. You can then take FOOD 1189 HACCP for Preventive Control Plans, the second badge in the micro-credential. This badge can also be applied to the Food Safety Associate Certificate: www.bcit.ca/programs/6365acert
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of FOOD 1179 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Start any time
- 26 weeks
- CRN 68950
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 26 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Crystal Cinq-Mars Majerski
Register any time to start this online course. You have 26 weeks from the day you register to complete it at your own pace. This course requires completion of 5 assignments, participation, and 1 exam. ** Important information on how to get started in the course will be sent to you immediately after registering. Check your email. SPONSORED STUDENTS - Please follow the instructions on the registration page to have your sponsor arrange payment. Additional information can be found by visiting the following link: www.bcit.ca/admission/tuition-fees/sponsorship/
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Provide rationale for preventive control plans in the food industry.
- Summarize the role each preventive control in cross-contamination prevention.
- Justify the purpose of standard operating procedures (SOPs), work instructions, and records in implementing preventive controls.
- Distinguish between monitoring, corrective action, and verification.
- Interpret and apply criteria from the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) to SOP development.
- Create SOPs, work instructions, and records for preventive controls.
- Identify SOPs, work instructions, and forms required for meeting SCFR traceability and consumer protection measures requirements.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Preventive Controls for Preventive Control Plans (FOOD 1179) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Food Safety
Associate Certificate Part-time
- Food Safety Management
- Food Safety Preventive Controls and HACCP Plans
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Preventive Controls for Preventive Control Plans (FOOD 1179)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.