Delivery Mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The BCIT Perinatal Specialty Nursing program is the benchmark for perinatal nursing practice in BC. Our comprehensive program combines in-depth theory with hands-on clinical courses that are designed to give you the expertise you need to practice in perinatal nursing.
Perinatal registered nurses work in partnership with childbearing women and their families, providing education and support that empower their patients with the skills to care for their families. In a dynamic and, at times, unpredictable work environment, perinatal nursing requires technical expertise, sensitivity, and excellent communication skills to effectively support the women they care for.
About the program
- Part-time, advanced certificate program that takes an average of 2 years to complete
- Distance and online learning gives you flexibility to work while you study
- 2 clinical experiences that may be completed in your community
See Program Details to learn more about studying perinatal nursing at BCIT.
Who it’s for
This program is for individuals who:
- Are practicing, registered nurses (RNs) wanting an advanced perinatal nursing certification, or to complete their specialty Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) in perinatal nursing
- Are undergraduate nursing students currently completing an accredited BSN program
- Enjoy working directly with childbearing women, newborns, and their families
- Thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
Your work experience matters
At BCIT, we value your work experience. If you’ve been working as a perinatal nurse, take advantage of our Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) process and fast track your advanced certificate education.
What grads can do
Our grads are in high demand. Visit Graduating and Jobs to learn more about career opportunities in perinatal nursing.
Costs & Supplies
BCIT’s Perinatal Nursing Specialty program offers Post-diploma registered nurses an Advanced Certificate in Perinatal nursing and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Specialty Nursing (BSN).
Nurses may bridge out obtaining an Advanced Certificate in Perinatal Nursing or continue and complete the BSN.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads are ready
Perinatal nurses enjoy working with childbearing women, newborns, and families within a fast-paced and, at times, unpredictable practice setting. At BCIT, we prepare you to handle any perinatal situation with a quality of care patients can count on.
Perinatal nurses work primarily in acute care birthing units. Other work opportunities include:
- Breastfeeding clinics
- Ambulatory care settings
- Community health units
- Sexual health clinics.
There are many career paths to choose from, including:
- Perinatal nurse
- Public health nurse
- Acute care nurse in labour and birth
- Lactation consultant
- Remote certified first call nurse
- Sexual health nurse
Looking to get your BSN? Use your advanced certificate toward completing our Bachelor of Science, Specialty Nursing degree.
BCIT Specialty Nursing Advanced Certificate Graduates can apply to receive transfer credits towards the online, 2-year UVIC Master of Nursing program. Applicants can chose from the Advanced Practice Leadership of Nurse Educator options.
Health Match BC
Health Match BC is a new service that helps recent specialty nursing graduates find work within BC. Funded by the provincial government, Health Match BC prioritizes the hiring of BC nursing graduates. For more information, go to Health Match BC.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 7102
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 1139
Nicole Pasquino, RN (C), BSN, BHSc, MHS
Faculty, Reproductive Health Courses
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 7006
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 7102
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.