Delivery Mode: ONLINE
- This program will be delivered online during COVID-19.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
- Full-time students should be prepared to attend synchronous online sessions. These classes may be held during the day Monday through Saturday, and during the evenings. Students will have access to their schedules a few weeks ahead of each term start.
Do you have an artistic spark? You might have a future in graphic design, and BCIT can help. The BCIT Graphic Design associate certificate program is one of the fastest ways to build a solid foundation of knowledge that will prepare you for a long, rewarding career.
Available as an intense, 6-month training program or at your own schedule part-time, this program gives you hands-on experience with creative software, strategic design, and digital composition for the relevant job skills employers are seeking.
About the program
- 6 months, full-time
- No application required for part-time study
- Like a career boot-camp of creative software, strategic design, and digital composition
Learn more about this program and how it prepares you for jobs in graphic design at the Program Details.
Who should complete the Graphic Design Associate Certificate?
If you’re interested in working in the graphic arts, earning your associate certificate is a great way to begin your training and test the field. Many students are:
- Sponsored by their employers to strengthen their skills
- Already gifted with an interest in creativity
- Innovative thinkers
- Interested in exploring a creative career
- Enjoy collaborative, creative challenges
If any of these sound like you, visit the Entrance Requirements page to begin today—most courses are offered every semester!
What grads can do
Many grads use their talents to create ads, displays, and web and print media for agencies, in-house marketing departments, and government organizations. Others pursue an entrepreneurial path as freelance artists. Additionally, some choose a combination of work and or continuing education to further their abilities and job prospects.
Learn more about the specific job opportunities available on the Graduating and Jobs page.
Costs & Supplies
Important Updates to Part-time Studies
Offering you a choice of part-time and full-time study, this program addresses your career needs and goals with flexible course options and availability. Most courses are offered every term by working industry professionals to give you the most up-to-date technology and practices in topics such as colour theory, InDesign, Photoshop, and portfolio design.
Students with approved Program Declaration, please note: Program matrix changes effective September 2016 may impact you as follows.
- If your program declaration lists MDIA 1900 – Typography Principles and you have not completed it, please complete MDIA 1920 – Typography instead.
- If your program declaration lists MDIA 2098 – Portfolio Design and Presentation and you have not completed it, please complete MDIA 2310 – Portfolio Design instead.
Please note: part-time programs and courses are open enrolment and although we make every effort to accommodate demand, course registration cannot be guaranteed in every semester. High demand courses fill quickly and may result in students unable to register for a course that semester. Courses may also be cancelled due to low enrolment.
The Graphic Design associate certificate is designed to give you a basic foundation of technology and creative approach for today’s jobs. Your courses are designed and taught by working professionals to give you the most current design techniques and skills that are sought after by marketing departments, ad agencies, publications, and other organizations. As part of your training in this fast-paced program, you’ll participate in a course on portfolio design and presentation to show clients and potential employers your accomplishments.
Graduating & Jobs
The intense focus on graphic design creative skills and technology in this associate certificate program can help prepare you for entry-level jobs and continuing career development within your current field such as marketing, advertising, or print and online media.
Some job opportunities in the graphic arts include:
- Junior Graphic Designer
- Production Artist
- Layout Specialist
- Visual Designer
Program Assistant, Digital Arts
604-453-4032 | Karen_Harvey@bcit.ca
Program Head, Graphic Design
604-456-1011 | Paul_Sawyer@bcit.ca
Contact a Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Course selection and program planning
- Declaring your program
- Making changes to your approved program plan
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Laddering options
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.