Consider a career in the dynamic graphic communications industry. The Graphic Communications Technology Management diploma program provides you with the knowledge and skills to manage production processes in the business of digital imaging, as well as hands-on training with the equipment and software you’ll be using in your graphics career.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
- You will apply the latest graphic design software, business processes, art direction, and production management, and learn to operate high-tech imaging and finishing technologies.
- You will design and produce marketing materials such as posters, large format signage, labels, variable data documents, books, packaging and other finished products that organizations need to communicate with a connected and informed audience.
- You will manage diverse multi-media technologies for sustainable business practices.
- You will learn Customer Relationship Management software and apply it through building a professional network in the Graphic Communications industry.
About the program
- Two-year, full-time program
- Well supported by industry, with several financial awards for incoming, continuing and graduating students
- Four main areas of study:
- Customer relations management
- Large format imaging
- Colour management
- Variable data imaging and digital print (e.g. geo-targeting campaigns)
- Industry-designed courses for the most current, relevant information
- Dedicated on-campus digital print and imaging facility for the program, with industry-standard equipment
- Pathway to BCIT’s Bachelor of Business Administration degree
- Two job placement opportunities – at the end of Year 1 and Year 2
- Excellent job placement rate upon graduation
Learn more about how BCIT’s Graphic Communications Technology Management program can help you reach your career goals on the Program Details page.
Who should apply for the Graphic Communications Technology Management Diploma?
A career in graphics communications might be right for you if you are:
- A creative thinker
- A tactical learner
- Interested in working with people and have good interpersonal skills
- Interested in a blend of art, business, and science
If this sounds like you and you’re ready to improve your career, check out our Entrance Requirements page for our easy application.
What grads can do
With the hands-on experience you’ll acquire in the Graphic Communications Technology Management program, you’ll be prepared for some of the most in-demand jobs in the graphics, and print and packaging industry industry today. Graduates are in high demand in the areas of graphics, e- commerce, and digital imaging and printing.
To find out more about the career opportunities available to graduates of the program, visit our Graduating and Jobs page.
To give you access to the equipment you’ll be using in your future career in imaging technology, all courses for this program are scheduled on the BCIT Burnaby campus. There, your classrooms will include fully networked Mac computer labs and a large warehouse incorporating our graphic arts print shop that houses high-tech pre-media, prepress, imaging, and binding equipment. Your class work will include key business skills for any career as well as specific focus for imaging technology such as digital imaging, bindery and finishing, e-commerce for creative imaging, and job placement.
Courses are scheduled with a mix of day-time and evening courses to help fit your schedule and offer you a truly hands-on experience with standard industry equipment to prepare you for the work you’ll be doing in your new career.
Located on the BCIT Burnaby campus, the facilities for the program include classroom space, fully networked Apple Computer labs, and a large print and imaging facility incorporating high-tech pre-media, prepress, imaging and binding equipment. Classes range from theoretical to technical, with student time distributed between lectures, labs, and project work.
In BCIT’s Graphic Communications Technology Management diploma program, you’ll learn to design and produce marketing materials such as posters, large format signage, labels, brochures, books, and other finished products. You learn the latest graphic design software, business processes, art direction, production management, and how to operate high-tech imaging and finishing technologies to prepare you for modern careers in imaging technology.
In this program, you’ll focus on three core industry areas: business practices, computer software, and output.
You’ll develop an understanding of marketing and sales skills vital to a successful business. Within a team environment, you receive an overview of marketing concepts within today’s print and imaging companies and learn how to build specific marketing tactics and strategies. You’ll also study practical applications of accounting and operations management.
You’ll learn Adobe Creative Suite leading to pre-media, PDF production, imposition, proofing, and colour management. You’ll also get hands-on experience with the programs and software that production artists and printers use to run and communicate with printing equipment. You learn how to read job dockets, plan work processes, run machines to production standards, consistently monitor work quality, and work in a team environment.
In every term, you take courses in the effective operation of a variety of print and imaging equipment, bindery, and finishing procedures. From printing large-format banners and wraps to running a lithographic press, you’ll be training on the equipment professionals are using today.
Continue your education
Qualified graduates of this program may apply for acceptance into BCIT’s Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree program. The BBA program is offered as a full-time degree in the day, or part-time in the evenings.
These businesses in our community have donated to the Graphic Communications Technology Management program at BCIT to establish our new Large Format Imaging Center.
Cascades, Onyx, Grimco, T.K. Graphics, Hemlock, Dominion Blue, Hewlett Packard, Summit Print, and Great Little Box Company.
Nearly every company and organization has more and more need for qualified employees in imaging technology. Because of this, there are more available jobs than there are graduates to fill them. With your BCIT diploma in Graphic Communications Technology Management, you’ll be in demand for opportunities in many areas of design, print and web media, and graphic communications.
Some career opportunities in imaging technology:
- Junior Graphic Designer
- Pre-media Work
- Production Artist
- Prepress Coordinator
- Production Manager/Coordinator
- Production Planner
- Customer Service Representative
- Sales Manager/Representative
- Marketing and Sales Manager/Coordinator
- Digital Print Operator
- Press Operator
- Bindery and Finishing Operator
- Packaging Designer
“The time spent in the BCIT graphic communication program was invaluable to my career. With the instructors being mostly industry professionals, the information and training is always current and relevant. Job placements every year also ensure a high percentage of students find work immediately after graduation. And with such a wide variety of courses within this program, you’re sure to find your true calling.”
“When I decided to return to school as a mature student it wasn’t simply to get a job, but to get a better job. The Graphic Communications Technology program has given me the education needed to find a solid, stable career. Even before completing the two-year program I have received a job offer from a very reputable company.”
Instructors are industry professionals, usually in senior management or supervisory roles in Vancouver’s top Graphic Communications firms.
- Mike Winteringham, Chief Operating Officer (COO), Metropolitan Printers
- Grant Bailey, Vice President Pre Press, Rhino Print Solutions
- Roberto Medieros, Production Print Solution Engineer, Ricoh Canada
- Bieu Williams, Senior Solutions Specialist, Konica Minolta
- Rob Kondratowski, Bindery Supervisor, Mitchell Press
- Daren McKewan, Director, Production & Workflow, Hemlock Printers
- Stephen Tomljanovic, Metropolitan Printers
- Stephen Zmetana, Global Product Support Specialist, Kodak
- Vijay Chand, Metropolitan Printers
- Jeff Taylor, Hemlock
- Kris Bovay, Pacific Bindery Services
- Marilyn Knoch, BCPIA
- Nikos Kallas, Metropolitan Fine Printers
- Rob Varnel, R&M Laminating
- Troy Naber, Heidelberg Graphic Equipment
- Tim Jones, Ricoh Canada
- Murray Todd, Total Graphics
The Graphic Communications Technology Management diploma is well supported by industry, with several awards for incoming, continuing, and graduating students. Each year, close to $30,000 in financial support is available to outstanding students seeking a rewarding career in the graphics, print, and packaging sector.
Entrance Awards for incoming students:
The following organizations generously sponsor entrance awards for incoming students that have been accepted to the Graphic Communications Technology Management diploma:
Please note the application deadline for entrance awards is August 5th each year. For further information regarding entrance awards, including award-specific criteria, check the following webpages:
1st year Achievement Awards
The following organizations generously sponsor achievement awards for students that have successfully completed the 1st year of the Graphics Communication Technology Management diploma, and are continuing to the 2nd year.
2nd year Graduating Awards
The following organizations generously sponsor graduating awards for students that have successfully completed the Graphics Communications Technology Management diploma, and are about to launch their career in the graphics, print and packaging sector.
604-412-7691 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Head, Graphic Communications Technology Management
604-451-6959 | email@example.com
Contact a Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Program selection and program planning
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.