The Analytical Science option has an emphasis on instrumental laboratory analysis and environmental science. Graduates are versatile and can pursue a variety of related careers as well as degree studies.
Fall 2021 delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person for the fall semester.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The Chemical and Environmental Technology diploma program offers the student a broad background in technology and skills that can be applied to many industries. Near the end of their first year in the program, students will choose one of two options: Analytical Science or Process Engineering. These options are not exclusive — all students will have enough exposure to both topic areas to qualify for a full spectrum of varied employment opportunities. Choosing an option allows students to pick an area of interest for increased emphasis while still keeping their future options open.
The first-year curriculum is common to both options and emphasizes environmental science, bioprocesses, materials technology, laboratory techniques and safety along with math and science basics. The student is also introduced to environmental science, materials technology, and a wide range of industrial chemical processes. The core second-year subjects for both options include several courses in environmental sampling and analysis, chemical engineering technology, instrumental analysis, physical chemistry, and statistics that will prepare students for employment in a broad range of industries and technical occupations. Students will participate in an industry-sponsored project (practicum or directed studies) in the second year of the program. This may involve work experience activities at the industry sponsor’s regular place of business.
Analytical Science option
The Analytical Science option will be of interest to those students who would enjoy an increased emphasis on instrumental laboratory analysis, organic chemistry, environmental regulations, and science. The strong core courses will ensure that graduates have sufficient knowledge to compete for jobs in process areas too, if that later becomes their choice. It is anticipated that graduates who choose to continue into degree studies would be most likely to choose from BTech or BSc degrees.
All Chemical and Environmental Technology graduates will be versatile and be awarded the same Diploma, regardless of their assigned options.
Find out more about getting started in the program!
If the Chemical and Environmental program interests you, review the entrance requirements. If you have questions regarding the entrance requirements and equivalents, please contact Program Advising.
Costs & Supplies
Graduating & Jobs
A broad set of skills allows graduates to pursue employment from a wide array of opportunities in many industries. Typical examples include:
- Chemical/Environmental analysts in commercial, industrial and research labs
- Research technologists for fuel cell and energy companies
- Specialists in air/water quality monitoring and remediation for government and consulting firms
- Production supervisor trainees in production or recycling plants
- Quality assurance officers for pharmaceutical and process industries
- Engineering technologists or materials testing specialists for engineering firms
- Process technologists for producers of chemical, metallurgical, paper, or pharmaceutical products
- Technical service representatives for chemical or equipment supply companies
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Lynn Erickson, PhD, PEng
Rodger Beatson, PhD
Amir M. Dehkhoda, PhD
Farzan Ghaffari, PhD, PEng
Yassaman Babaee, PhD
Hamed Karimi Sharif, PhD, PEng
Elaine Woo, BSc, Certified Assayer
Harry Chang, MSc
Arvinder Dhaliwal, BSc
Kacem Habiballah, MA, EdD, PhD (Candidate)
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.