A carpenter performs all work in connection with the assembly and erection of falsework and forms for concrete, wood and metal frame construction and installs interior and exterior finishing metals for residential, commercial, and industrial projects while conforming to plans and specifications and local building codes. Other trade skills include layout, rigging/signaling, cutting/welding and the erection and dismantling of scaffolding.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person for the coming semester.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The apprenticeship process requires time spent on the job supplemented by in school training. A carpentry apprentice must complete a four-year program including 6360 workplace hours and 840 in-school hours of training completed in four levels of training, each for seven weeks. After completion and achievement of a passing grade, the apprentice will hold the B.C. Certificate of Apprenticeship, B.C. Certificate of Qualification, and the Interprovincial Standard Endorsement also known as Red Seal.
View a career video.
Check the Apprenticeship Training Schedules to see available training dates.
Program Advisory Committee
- Tony Maida – Chair, Bird Construction
- Chris Backman, Kingston Construction Ltd.
- Randy Callaghan, PCL Construction Westcoast Inc.
- Ian Mackie, City of Vancourver
- Dennis Rithaler, Adera Development Corporation
- Ed Vandermeer, Centra Windows Inc.
- Trevor Van Rumpt, G.Wilson Construction Group
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.