This studio will introduce students to the design of millwork and freestanding custom furniture for residential and commercial spaces. Students will explore materials used for millwork and custom furniture, methods of joinery, hardware types, and different wood species and their characteristics. Detailed working drawings will be produced.
Below is one offering of INTD 4200 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 05 - Mon Mar 27 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 89498
Class meeting times
|Jan 05 - Mar 27||Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 353|
|Jan 05 - Mar 27||Mon||18:00 - 21:15||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 353|
Grace Rodrigues Sikich
***Please note*** - Students who do not meet the mandatory prerequisites will be dropped without notice. If you wish to be placed on the INTD department maintained waitlist for this course, please email INTD_Waitlist@bcit.ca with the following information: Your name, student number, course number, and CRN. Waitlist requests are only accepted after 9:30am on registration day.
In Progress and Full
This course offering is in progress and full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Interpret millwork construction drawings.
- Identify a variety of standard millwork construction materials, finishes and their appropriate applications.
- Analyse client needs to design an appropriate and functional piece of custom millwork.
- Explore creative design solutions for custom millwork.
- Assess whether a specification or detail is applicable and/or required.
- Make appropriate materials and hardware selections for specific functional considerations and usage.
- Prepare specifications for materials, finishes and hardware for custom millwork.
- Produce millwork construction drawings for residential and commercial interior millwork pieces such as a basic kitchen cabinet, a reception desk and a restaurant bar.
- Produce drawings using AutoCAD emphasizing appropriate line weights, notes and cross referencing.
Effective as of Fall 2020
Architectural Millwork Studio (INTD 4200) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Architectural Millwork Studio (INTD 4200)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.