This course encourages students to produce creative, detailed lighting design solutions for commercial spaces. Emphasis will be on concepts for lighting, practical applications, specifications and methods to enhance the experience of interior environments. Students will create reflected ceiling plans that incorporates advanced lighting solutions and ceiling details. Photometrics will be examined and applied to interior spaces for evaluation, discussion and implementation.
Below is one offering of INTD 3240 for the Fall 2023 term.
Fri Sep 15 - Fri Dec 01 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 48133
Class meeting times
|Sep 15 - Dec 01||Fri||13:00 - 16:00||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 353|
***Please note*** - Students who do not meet the mandatory prerequisites will be dropped without notice. This is a waitlist eligible course. If you wish to be placed on the INTD department maintained waitlist for this course, please email INTD_Waitlist@bcit.ca with the following information: Your name, student number, course number, and CRN. Waitlist requests are not accepted until after 9:30am on registration day.
In Progress and Full
This course offering is in progress and full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop reflected ceiling plans and specifications applicable to a commercial projects, appropriate for a set of construction drawings.
- Implement effective lighting solutions that support the design concept of interior environments.
- Evaluate the lighting requirements of various interior spaces from perspectives of function, energy usage, aesthetics and wellness.
- Evaluate and implement appropriate brightness contrast into design solutions.
- Develop lighting concepts through implementation of the visible characteristics of lighting, including light layering, visual discrimination, and luminous elements.
- Implement the principles of various light sources and lamp types through appropriate uses.
- Apply photometric principles such as beam spread, spacing criteria and lighting distribution when designing lighting layouts.
- Identify appropriate illuminance levels as required by the authority having jurisdiction.
Effective as of Fall 2020
Commercial Lighting for Interior Design (INTD 3240) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Commercial Lighting for Interior Design (INTD 3240)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.