This course will introduce students to the latest edition of the BC Building Code Part 3 as it applies to interior design. Students will apply a working knowledge of compliance, code objectives, definitions and appendices as they relate to the built environment. They will locate and interpret the applicable codes to make appropriate design decisions required for fire protection, occupant safety and accessibility. The course examines the importance of establishing life safety issues, occupancy classification, fire ratings and separations, and means of egress as they relate to the built environment. Students will study an existing building to explore, identify and address code-related situations.
Below is one offering of INTD 4360 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Sep 12 - Mon Dec 05 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 48135
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Dec 05||Mon||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 411|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
If you wish to be placed on the INTD Department maintained waitlist for this Course, please email INTD_Waitlist@bcit.ca with the following information: Your Name, Student Number, Course Number, and CRN. Waitlist requests are only accepted after 9:30am on registration day. ***Please note*** - Students who do not meet the mandatory prerequisites will be dropped without notice. No class Monday October 10th - Thanksgiving
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze and generate a code-compliant, accessible solution for interior environments.
- Evaluate drawings to assess code compliance.
- Determine occupancy classification use, health requirements, fire ratings and separations and life safety issues for interior spaces.
- Reference current building codes to locate and classify specialized information and apply to design solutions.
- Determine occupant loads, means of egress, units of exit widths, travel distances, flame spread ratings, and smoke development classifications.
Effective as of Winter 2016
Building Codes and Barrier Free for Interior Design (INTD 4360) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Building Codes and Barrier Free for Interior Design (INTD 4360)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.