Thank you for taking the time to nominate a deserving candidate. Below is information on eligibility and selection criteria, the nomination process, and how to nominate someone. Please complete the following application and submit. A member of the Board of Governors Tributes Committee will contact you to discuss this nomination and the next steps. The form is associated with Procedure 5501-PR1 Honorary Awards.
The Tributes Committee
The Tributes Committee administers honorary awards and is comprised of the following voting members:
- A representative of the Leadership Team, as designated by the BCIT president
- A vice president or designate, appointed by the BCIT president
- Four BCIT employees representative of the BCIT community (one from each bargaining unit and one from excluded staff)
- Two members of the BCIT Board of Governors, one of whom will serve as chair, as determined by the chair of the Board.
Eligibility and selection criteria
The Tributes Committee will consider candidates who meet either or both of the following criteria:
- An individual usually but not exclusively outside BCIT who is widely acknowledged and recognized for outstanding achievements in specific areas of expertise, that have impacted positively on BCIT specifically, or on post-secondary education in general or on the community as a whole.
- An individual who is widely recognized in the public arena for excellence and accomplishments, and whose receipt of such an award will bring honour to BCIT as well as the recipient.
NOTE: Honorary Doctorate degrees are not normally awarded to politicians while still in office or to faculty and staff while still at BCIT. Nominations from outside of British Columbia will be accepted.
All nominations will be treated with utmost confidentiality and received by the BCIT Board of Governors office for the Tributes Committee. Nominations will follow this process:
- The Tributes Committee will review all nominations and bring forward these nominations to the Board of Governors for approval.
- The chair of the Tributes Committee (or designate) will acknowledge receipt of each nomination.
- The Tributes Committee may call upon nominators for clarification or more information.
- Based on full consideration of all information, the Tributes Committee will recommend final candidate(s) for Board approval.
- The chair of the Board (or designate), following approval of the BCIT Board of Governors, will contact successful candidates.
- Successful candidates will be recognized at the Convocation ceremonies in February or June.
How to nominate someone
The nomination process involves three stages of consideration. Not all nominees advance to the next stage.
- Complete the below online nomination form. This will be submitted to the Tributes Committee of the Board of Governors.
- The nominator will be contacted for further information about the nominee.
- The Committee contacts nominator and asks for a nomination package to be completed. The nomination package consists of: 3 – 4 letters of support, a resume or curriculum vitae, and a statement and rationale of 500 words.
The Tributes Committee acknowledges that the nomination process can be time-consuming. While the nomination decision must rest with the nominator, we can provide some assistance in preparing the necessary documentation. Contact Lisa Jung, Director, Alumni Relations: 604.456.1231 or email@example.com.
All nominations are treated as confidential.
For more information, please contact Lisa Jung, Director, Alumni Relations: 604.456.1231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honorary Doctorate Nomination Form
Please complete the nomination form below.