The Tributes Committee
The Tributes Committee administers honorary awards and is comprised of the following voting members:
- A representative of the Leadership Team, as designated by the BCIT president
- A vice president or designate, appointed by the BCIT president
- Four BCIT employees representative of the BCIT community (one from each bargaining unit and one from excluded staff)
- Two members of the BCIT Board of Governors, one of whom will serve as chair, as determined by the chair of the Board
Eligibility and selection criteria
The Tributes Committee will consider candidates who meet either or both of the following criteria:
- An individual who has given exceptional, longstanding service to BCIT and its strategic goals.
- An individual who is recognized for excellence and accomplishment associated with BCIT or its programs, and whose receipt of such an award will bring honour and distinction to BCIT.
NOTE: The Distinguished Service Award is normally given to past BCIT employees, Board members or Advisory Committee members who have been retired or have ceased to be actively involved with the Institute for at least two years.
All nominations will be treated with utmost confidentiality and received by the BCIT Board of Governors office for the Tributes Committee. Nominations will follow this process:
- The Tributes Committee will review all nominations and bring forward these nominations to the Board of Governors for approval.
- The chair of the Tributes Committee (or designate) will acknowledge receipt of each nomination.
- The Tributes Committee may call upon nominators for clarification or more information.
- Based on full consideration of all information, the Tributes Committee will recommend final candidate(s) for Board approval.
- The chair of the Board (or designate), following approval of the BCIT Board of Governors, will contact successful candidates.
- Successful candidates will be recognized at the Convocation ceremonies in February or June.
How to nominate someone
The Nomination Process involves 3 stages of consideration. Not all nominees advance to the next stage.
- Complete the below online nomination form. This will be submitted to the Tributes Committee of the Board of Governors.
- The nominator will be contacted for further information about the nominee.
- The Committee contacts nominator and asks for a nomination package to be completed.
The nomination package consists of:
- 3-4 letters of support
- resume or curriculum vitae
- a statement and rationale of 500 words
The Tributes Committee acknowledges that the nomination process can be time-consuming. While the nomination decision must rest with the nominator, we can provide some assistance in preparing the necessary documentation. Contact Jenny Yang, Assistant to VP Advancement: 604.432.8423 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All nominations are treated as confidential.
For more information, please contact Assistant to VP Advancement, Jenny Yang at email@example.com or call 604.432.8423.
Please complete the below nomination form. Please note that this award is not given out yearly and will only be awarded when an individual meets the criteria.