The new Accessibility Services Adaptive Technology Lab (the Lab) aims to assist students registered with Accessibility Services. It contains specialized software, computers, assistive devices, and study space.
Adaptive technology promotes greater independence for people in their learning and working environments. Based on your needs, we offer information and the opportunity for exposure to adaptive technology that may enhance your post-secondary experience.
If you are registered with Accessibility Services, you can use the Lab to:
- Access the Lab equipped with technology
- Determine through self-directed exploration whether technology may enhance your learning
- Utilize online information and demos for use and application
- Access resources on specialized software
Visit the pages linked below to learn more about each adaptive technology option:
Accessibility Services maintains a small loan bank of assistive technology (devices and adaptive technology equipment) which can be used during your tests. Some of the devices can be loaned to students registered with our office on a short-term basis.
- PC computer workstations
- Flatbed scanning devices
- Courtesy printers
- Incandescent desk lamps
- Alternative Mouse Systems & Keyboards
- Note-taking tools
- Voice amplification devices
- Grammatical and Spell check support devices
- Ergonomic seating solutions including height-adjustable desks and chairs
- Ergonomic workstation accessories
- Digital recorders
- Adjustable laptop stands
- Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (September to May)
- Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (June to August)
Current BCIT students registered with the Accessibility Services are able to access the Lab. Faculty and Staff are welcome to come in and look at the equipment and discuss options with the Accessibility Services.
Booking for Lab use is recommended. Please contact us at 604-451-6963 to book your time.