Are you looking to upskill quickly for a career switch, re-enter the workforce, or work in office administration? The BCIT Office Administrator with Technology (OAT) certificate program offers job-ready skills in just five months.
This hands-on program provides the computer and business skills needed for administrative positions today, preparing you to join the workforce immediately. It is ideal for individuals who do not have previous education or background in computing.
In addition to core technical training, you will also:
- Participate in mock interviews
- Gain skills in writing a competitive resume
- Create a professional LinkedIn profile highlighting your new office skills
- Enhance competencies such as communication and teamwork
About the program
- Work through this full-time program with your cohort, sharing your experience and expertise, and building a professional network that will last long after you graduate
- Full-time (Monday to Friday, 9:00 until 4:00 pm) certificate program
- 2 intakes: April (in-person at the Downtown Campus) & October (online)
- 3 months of hands-on learning and realistic business projects
- 2-month full-time work term in industry
See the Program Details to Learn more about what you can expect from OAT, and how you can prepare for a career in office administration.
Who should complete the OAT Certificate?
This program might be for you if you:
- Already have a credential, but are ready to start a new career in office administration
- Are looking to quickly earn the skills to begin working in an entry-level administrative position
- Enjoy working with people, either in an office environment or virtually, in a work-from-home arrangement
- Are organized and like doing a variety of tasks
- Are seeking a supportive, hands-on educational experience studying in Canada
If any of these sound like you, please check the Entrance Requirements to ensure you can apply and start your new career path!
What Office Administrator with Technology grads can do
By earning your BCIT Certificate, you’ll be honing your computing, organizational, and communication skills to prepare for various positions in office administration.
Just have a look at where these four graduates ended up working!
Learn more about the opportunities awaiting you on the Graduating and Jobs page.
- Next up Entrance Requirements
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Use Microsoft Word to create professional documents
- Create budgets and analyze data with Microsoft Excel
- Design and deliver a presentation with Microsoft PowerPoint
- Use Microsoft Outlook to manage schedules, contacts, and email
- Design and develop a small database with Microsoft Access
- Complete basic bookkeeping tasks with Sage 50
- Prepare and understand financial reports
- Use HTML5, CSS3, and WordPress to build and manage a website
- Enhance photos and create graphics with Adobe Photoshop
In addition, you will challenge two Microsoft Office Specialist exams and earn two-valued industry certifications:
- Microsoft Word 2019
- Microsoft Excel 2019
Students are equipped with practical skills that apply to a variety of fields. Depending on previous academic and work experience, career paths for graduates may include but are not limited to:
- Executive Assistant
- Office Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Office Coordinator
- Administrative Support
- Administrator / Receptionist
Did you know that:
- 92% of grads were very satisfied or satisfied with their education
- 95% of grads found their OAT Certificate useful in getting their job
- 97% of grads were able to find a program-related job within 6 months
Your ultimate goal is to find an OAT-related job once you graduate. We support you with:
- Resume writing skills
- LinkedIn profile tips
- Mock technical interview training
- Access to BCIT Student Association (BCITSA) Career Specialists
- BCITSA Industry Days job fairs
- Specialized workshops, employer showcases, and individual support and guidance and more. Check out BCITSA’s services.
What grads say about OAT:
- “I was hired instantaneously after finishing the program.” – Karen Galang, Office Administrative Assistant, New Point Property Management
- “Within a month of completing the practicum, I was offered and accepted my first full-time office position, which I still hold.” – Laura Schubert, BC Court Registry Agent
- “I would highly recommend this course to anyone seeking a rewarding career with abundant opportunities.” – Preeti Subramanian, Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Translink
- “OAT prepared me for the future, not only with the academics I learned, but it has given me the confidence I need to succeed in my new life in Canada.” – Veronica Jacobsohn, HR Analyst, Providence Health Care
BCIT is well-respected by employers for its ties to industry. In Computing, this connection is formalized through a Program Advisory Committee (PAC) comprised of experts in a range of roles from a cross-section of companies. While PAC membership varies, representatives typically come from tech giants like Microsoft and Amazon, government and public infrastructure organizations, software companies, gaming and entertainment, and more.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- Go Back Contact Us
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.