The Office Administrator with Technology (OAT) Program is a short and practical program to prepare you to immediately join the workforce. Deepen your knowledge of the most popular computer applications, so you can work in any number of office environments, or virtually. Combining a range of skills and real-world experience, OAT will help you to confidently launch or transform your career.
The program consists of three months of online instruction, Monday to Friday, from 9:00 until 4:00, followed by a two-month full-time work term. It combines technical and professional courses with hands-on learning. Formal classroom instruction is complemented by realistic business projects.
In addition to core technical training, you will also gain skills in writing a competitive resume and LinkedIn profile that highlights your new office productivity skills, participate in mock interviews as well as in other classes that foster teamwork and enhanced communications for your classroom and in future work.
There will be no extended breaks except for statutory holidays.
|Office Administrator with Technology|
|Program Location:||In Person, Downtown Campus|
|Program Length:||5 months, Full-time|
|Program Start / End||April 3 to Sept. 1, 2023|
|Total Tuition/Cost:||Learn about Tuition & Fees|
|Entry Requirements:||View Requirements|
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Use Microsoft Word to create professional documents
- Create budgets and analyze data with Microsoft Excel
- Design and deliver a presentation with Microsoft PowerPoint
- Use Microsoft Outlook to manage schedules, contacts, and email
- Design and develop a small database with Microsoft Access
- Complete basic bookkeeping tasks with Sage 50
- Prepare and understand financial reports
- Use HTML5, CSS3, and WordPress to build and manage a website
- Enhance photos and create graphics with Adobe Photoshop
In addition, you will challenge two Microsoft Office Specialist exams and earn two-valued industry certifications:
- Microsoft Word 2019
- Microsoft Excel 2019
Students are equipped with practical skills that are applicable to a variety of fields. Depending on previous academic and work experience, career paths for graduates may include but are not limited to:
- Executive Assistant
- Office Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Administrative Support
- Administrator / Receptionist
Did you know that:
- 94% of grads were very satisfied or satisfied with their education
- 93% of grads found their OAT Certificate useful in getting their job
- 100% of grads were ready to collaborate in groups at work
- 92% of grads were ready to keep up with the pace of change in tech by learning new skills on their own
Your ultimate goal is to find an OAT-related job once you graduate. We support you with:
- Resume writing skills
- LinkedIn profile tips
- Mock technical interview training
- Access to BCIT Student Association (BCITSA) Career Specialists
- BCITSA Industry Days job fairs
- Specialized workshops, employer showcases, and individual support and guidance and more. Check out BCITSA’s services.
What grads say about OAT:
- “I was hired instantaneously after finishing the program.” – Karen Galang, Office Administrative Assistant, New Point Property Management
- “Within a month of completing the practicum, I was offered and accepted my first full-time office position, which I still hold.” – Laura Schubert, BC Court Registry Agent
- “I would highly recommend this course to anyone seeking a rewarding career with abundant opportunities.” – Preeti Subramanian, Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Translink
- “OAT prepared me for the future, not only with the academics I learned, but it has given me the confidence I need to succeed in my new life in Canada.” – Veronica Jacobsohn, HR Analyst, Providence Health Care
BCIT is well-respected by employers for its ties to industry. In Computing, this connection is formalized through a Program Advisory Committee (PAC) comprised of experts in a range of roles from a cross-section of companies. While PAC membership varies, representatives typically come from tech giants like Microsoft and Amazon, government and public infrastructure organizations, software companies, gaming and entertainment, and more.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.