2022 delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person for the coming terms.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for further information.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
Preparatory training for Transport Canada Certification
A Master of a vessel is in command of the ship, its crew, passengers and/or cargo while at sea and in port. The Master’s role is to oversee the safe operation of the vessel. Specific responsibilities include:
- enforcing rules and regulations
- ensuring the safety of all personnel on board
- ensuring the safety of the vessel
- ensuring the safe carriage of cargoes
- ensuring the protection of the environment
Consists of modular based courses, that are offered throughout the year, to prepare students towards the Master 500GT Domestic Certificate of Competency.
The holder of a Master 500GT Domestic certificate may be employed as:
- Master on board a vessel of not more than 500 gross tonnage engaged on a near coastal voyage, Class 2 (or class 1 if certificate is endorsed for a limited, contiguous waters, voyage)
Mate on board a vessel of not more than 3000 gross tonnage engaged on a near coastal voyage, Class 2 (or class 1 if certificate is endorsed for a limited, contiguous waters, voyage)
- Master on board a vessel of not more than 3000 gross tonnage engaged on a sheltered-waters voyage
For more details, please refer to section 128 of the Marine Personnel Regulations.
BCIT Marine Campus Registration Office, 604-453-4111
Carl Marquardt at 604-453-4101
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.