This command level marine navigation simulator course exceeds the requirements of Transport Canada training standards and the IMO "Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) convention". This course will provide the required skill set for the students to make appropriate decisions in complex navigational scenarios, including emergency situations to effectively plan, organize, and manage a navigational bridge team. Ship handling of large vessels in confined waters, and effectively planning and participating in a "Search and Rescue" (SAR) operation are part of this course. Towards the end of the training, the students will prepare and execute a voyage plan from berth to berth using the necessary navigational instruments and bridge publications, whilst assuming the duties and responsibilities as the master of the vessel.
- Students must have successfully completed the following training courses and examinations prior to registering for the SEN-M training course: 1) Simulated Electronic Navigation - Operational (SEN-O) or Simulated Electronic Navigation Fish (SEN-F); and 2) A Certificate of Competency: OOW; or OOW-NC; or Master 500 Gross Tonnage, Domestic; or Fishing Master; Limited Waters; or Fishing Officer, Unlimited Waters; or Fishing Officer, Limited Waters; and 3) 6 months of sea service at the officer or master level
Below are two offerings of ENAV 2070 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Fri Aug 04 - Fri Sep 01 (4 weeks)
- 4 weeks
- CRN 68885
Class meeting times
|Aug 04 - Sep 01||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:20||Marine BMC|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
Note: A thorough knowledge of ECDIS will be beneficial before taking this course. Copies of prerequisites MUST be presented to the instructor on the first day of class. Please refer to prerequisite section of course webpage for details. EXTRA DAY ADDED TO COURSE DUE TO TC EXAM ON LAST DAY Course normally 21 days is condensed into 20 days. Time made up by adding 20 min to each day. NOTE: NO CLASS MON AUG 7 AS STAT HOLIDAY.
Wed May 10 - Wed Jun 07 (4 weeks)
- 4 weeks
- CRN 67776
Class meeting times
|May 10 - Jun 07||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:20||Marine BMC Rm. 260|
Note: A thorough knowledge of ECDIS will be beneficial before taking this course. Copies of prerequisites MUST be presented to the instructor on the first day of class. Please refer to prerequisite section of course webpage for details. EXTRA DAY ADDED TO COURSE DUE TO TC EXAM ON LAST DAY Course normally 21 days is condensed into 20 days. Time made up by adding 20 min to each day. NOTE: NO CLASS MON MAY 22 AS STAT HOLIDAY.
This course offering is in progress. Please check this page for other currently available offerings or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Competently operate the "ARPA" knowing its potential, limitations, and errors in multi-target collision avoidance.
- Identify "own ship's" characteristics and confidently operate "own ship" controls.
- Identify and demonstrate the qualities required to be a professional master of a vessel.
- Con a vessel in confined waters using parallel indexing techniques.
- Demonstrate the principles and application of passage planning.
- Execute a planned passage ending at a "precision anchorage".
- Respond to distress situations as per IAMSAR guidelines.
- Apply effective communication skills.
- Recognize loss of situational awareness, and apply appropriate corrective techniques.
- Enhance the working relationship of the bridge team, including interaction with a pilot.
- Use effective leadership, bridge organization, and teamwork techniques.
- Prepare for emergency situations.
- Apply the concepts, philosophy, and objectives of bridge team management to the bridge environment.
Effective as of Winter 2019
Simulated Electronic Navigation - Managerial (SEN-M) (ENAV 2070) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Chief Mate
- Master 3000GT Domestic
- Master 500GT Domestic
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Simulated Electronic Navigation - Managerial (SEN-M) (ENAV 2070)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.