All mid-term and final examinations are to be held at the Marine campus.
Delivery Mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
- Learn more about how this program is adapting learning during COVID-19
The Chief Mate program consists of modular based courses, that are offered throughout the year, to prepare students towards the Chief Mate Certificate of Competency.
The holder of this certificate may act as Chief Mate on board any vessel on unlimited voyage, or as Master on vessels of less than 500 gross tonnage on near coastal voyage class 1 and class 2, or as Master on any vessel on sheltered waters voyage.
The Chief Mate position is second in the line of command of the vessel after the Captain. The Chief Mate is responsible to the Captain for the security and safety of the vessel. Specific responsibilities include:
- ensuring the safety of personnel on board
- training in safety, firefighting and search and rescue
- managing the deck department and crew
- ensuring the safety of the ship’s cargo and ship’s maintenance.
This program is spread out over three terms as outlined below:
|Winter||January – March||Starts mid-October|
|Spring/Summer||April – August||Starts mid-February|
|Fall||September – December||Starts early June|
For further details on registration dates, contact the Marine Campus Registration Office at 604-453-4111.
The course schedule is planned out on a yearly basis. Some of the courses in the program are offered only once per year based on student demand. Students can only register for applicable courses during the registration period as outlined above.
Costs & Supplies
Graduating & Jobs
BCIT Marine Campus Registration Office, 604-453-4111
Carl Marquardt at 604-453-4101
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.