- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Students will be introduced to marine auxiliary machinery including pumps, boilers, air compressors, water-makers, sewage treatment plants, oily water separators, etc. This will also include stabilizers, bow thrusters, and deck machinery. They will also acquire an understanding of diesels and diesel systems. The course covers propeller, propeller shafts, bridge control, hydraulic systems, and firefighting systems. The electrical session will explore alternators and electrical distribution.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Sketch diesel, steam, and electric engine room arrangements.
- Describe the construction and operation of the engine room's auxiliary equipment, including air compressors, pumps, valves, water-makers, sewage treatment plants, oily water separators, and generators.
- Describe the construction and operation of the ship's auxiliary equipment such as steering, bow thrusters, and deck machinery.
- Sketch water tube and fire tube boilers and their feed systems.
- Explain the construction and operation of diesels and their systems.
- Describe engine transmission systems, including propeller shafts, bearings, and propellers.
- Describe fire fighting equipment systems and their use.
- Explain electrical distribution systems, alternators, and batteries.
- Describe bridge control systems and instrumentation.
Effective as of Fall 2008
Engineering Knowledge 1 (NAUT 1869) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Engineering Knowledge 1 (NAUT 1869)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.