This course covers Canadian and International regulations pertaining to the safe carriage of cargoes as transportation on vessels. The basic knowledge on the safe handling, stowage, and securing of cargoes along with the associated equipments are also covered in this course. The Regulations that are covered are: Cargo, Fumigation, and Tackle Regulations; International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code; Safe Working Practices Regulations; Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act; and Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of NAUT 1876 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Tue May 23 - Mon Jun 12 (3 weeks)
- 3 weeks
- CRN 68802
Class meeting times
|May 23 - Jun 12||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:00||Marine BMC Rm. 252|
IMPORTANT NOTE: CLASS WILL BE HELD ON CAMPUS. For the issuance of Transport Canada Training certificates by the school, a Transport Canada, Candidate Document Number (CDN#) will be required. Contact Transport Canada, Marine Safety for further information. Please refer to prerequisite section of webpage for any/all prerequisites.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the features of vessels for transporting different types of cargoes.
- Describe the general inspection and preparation of holds for receiving cargoes.
- Explain the reason for segregation and separation of cargoes.
- Describe the equipment used to load and discharge cargo.
- Interpret and apply the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and Regulations.
- Interpret and apply the International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code.
- Interpret and observe Safe Working Practices Regulations.
- Interpret and apply the Code of Safe Practice for Cargo Stowage and Securing.
- Interpret and apply the Cargo, Fumigation, and Tackle Regulations.
- Interpret and apply SOLAS, Chapters VI, VII, and XII (applicable sections).
Effective as of Fall 2011
Cargo 1 (NAUT 1876) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Master 500GT Domestic
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cargo 1 (NAUT 1876)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.