In this course, you will develop vocal, writing, and performance skills for radio and television announcing. The focus is on effective verbal communication; which is essential for successful business communication and self-confidence. We will explore respiratory and vocal anatomy, emphasize articulation, and experience vocal exercises. You will gain these practical skills through working with a variety of scripts including news, entertainment, sports, traffic, and commercials. To gain the most from this class, you should be willing to take risks and perform outside of your comfort zone.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 1151 for the Fall 2022 term.
Wed Sep 14 - Wed Nov 30 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 32518
Class meeting times
|Sep 14 - Nov 30||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
If seats remain, registration is permitted after the course start date up to September 27th by calling 604-434-1610.
This course offering has been cancelled. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate correct vocal techniques.
- Demonstrate correct microphone techniques.
- Perform the operations needed in a radio booth.
- Prepare a script for announcing by following the stated steps.
- Prepare for an 'on-air shift’.
- Construct an editorial review script for presentation.
- Determine the appropriate tone to use for a given demographic for a radio or television audience.
- Describe the importance of advertising and its role in TV and radio.
- Describe the daily operation of a radio station.
- Perform on-camera announcing techniques, including working with a prompter.
Effective as of Winter 2017
Radio and TV Announcing (BCST 1151) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Radio and TV Announcing (BCST 1151)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.