- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course provides a broad overview of journalism with a focus on news programming in the electronic media. Students examine how radio, television, and online news stories are covered, written and produced. There is much hands-on learning, including exercises in news writing, announcing and reporting. This fast-paced course also explores interview styles, media law, editorial writing, and on- camera performance.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 1170 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 12 - Tue Nov 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 30709
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Nov 28||Tue||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Solid written and spoken English language skills are required. This is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. Please log into learn.bcit.ca using your BCIT student email and password on the first day of class. For more information, you may contact the instructor JFoy@bcit.ca. If seats remain, registration is permitted after the course start date up to September 18th by calling 604-434-1610.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe how news gathering occurs
- Define different work positions and functions in a newsroom
- Recall critical current events from the news
- Demonstrate basic news writing skills
- Use basic announcing skills in a performance environment
- Carry out essential interview skills for the media
- Discuss how news stories are edited for visual media
- Identify important aspects of media law
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2014
Introduction to Journalism (BCST 1170) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Journalism (BCST 1170)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.