This course provides a broad overview of journalism with a focus on news programming in the electronic media. Students examine how radio, television, and online news stories are covered, written and produced. There is much hands-on learning, including exercises in news writing, announcing and reporting. This fast-paced course also explores interview styles, media law, editorial writing, and on- camera performance.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 1170 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 13 - Tue Nov 29 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 30709
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Nov 29||Tue||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Solid written and spoken English language skills are required. You will be expected to attend online during the posted class meeting times as this is not a self-paced course. For more information, you may contact the instructor: JFoy@bcit.ca. If seats remain, registration is permitted after the course start date up to September 26th by calling 604-434-1610.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe how news gathering occurs
- Define different work positions and functions in a newsroom
- Recall critical current events from the news
- Demonstrate basic news writing skills
- Use basic announcing skills in a performance environment
- Carry out essential interview skills for the media
- Discuss how news stories are edited for visual media
- Identify important aspects of media law
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2014
Introduction to Journalism (BCST 1170) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Journalism (BCST 1170)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.