Podcasts are ubiquitous nowadays, being created for brand marketing and awareness, education and entertainment purposes. This course will cover content preparation, storytelling, interviewing, writing, audio-editing, marketing and basic graphic design for promotional purposes. You’ll also learn about equipment, apps and software available to facilitate podcast-making. All you need is a smartphone to get started. Much of what we'll cover is also applicable to people pursuing broadcast careers.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 3259 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 05 - Thu Apr 06 (14 weeks)
- 14 weeks
- CRN 88569
Class meeting times
|Jan 05 - Apr 06||Thu||18:00 - 21:15||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
If seats remain, registration is permitted after the course start date up to January 18th by calling 604-434-1610. You will be expected to attend online during the posted class meeting times as this is not a self-paced course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Conceive of and design an audio podcast.
- Identify technical requirements, equipment and software applications necessary for podcast creation.
- Create conversational written material for podcast audiences (writing for the ear).
- Create effective lines of interview questioning.
- Conduct guest interviews with confidence.
- Organize information in a logical fashion for presentation.
- Construct a simple, free website for podcast marketing.
- Identify ways to promote a podcast using social media channels.
- Create engaging marketing copy for promotion on digital channels.
- Create digital marketing graphics, such as a logo and shareables.
- Demonstrate the basics of audio recording and digital audio-editing.
- Apply performance/announcing techniques for hosting a podcast.
Effective as of Winter 2021
Podcasting (BCST 3259) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Podcasting (BCST 3259)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.