The breadth and depth of sports media have exploded in recent times – would you like to join the industry? This course includes fundamental skills required of all sports media professionals. The role of the sports media in general will be analyzed along with potential ethical dilemmas presenters can face. You will explore how to conceptualize, research, write, and perform a captivating sports story. Other critical elements include building and editing a sportscast as well as interviewing players, coaches and other key stakeholders. Those enrolling in this course should demonstrate a keen interest in sports and sports broadcasting.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BCST 1173 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 15 - Thu Dec 01 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 32327
Class meeting times
|Sep 15 - Dec 01||Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
If seats remain, registration is permitted after the course start date up to September 28th by calling 604-434-1610. You will be expected to attend online during the posted class meeting times as this is not a self-paced course.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain the role of sports in media.
- List a wide variety of potential careers within the sports media industry.
- Demonstrate essential sports researching and writing skills.
- Use basic announcing skills in a sports story performance.
- Conduct an interview for a sports story.
- Identify the different elements required for a local, regional, and national sportscast.
- Construct a contemporary sportscast for the electronic media.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2013
Sports Broadcasting (BCST 1173) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Sports Broadcasting (BCST 1173)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.