PERF 7500 introduces students to the Perfusion lab and the equipment associated with cardiopulmonary bypass. Students will have the opportunity to reinforce theory through hands-on lab practice on the heart lung machines and bypass circuits. Perfusion safety systems will also be reviewed.
Below is one offering of PERF 7500 for the Fall 2023 term.
Mon Nov 27 - Fri Dec 01 (5 days)
- 5 days
- CRN 49746
Class meeting times
|Nov 27 - Dec 01||Mon - Fri||08:00 - 16:00||Aerospace Technology ATC|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Please contact the program assistant for approval to register. Lab hours may vary, students are expected to be available from 0700 - 1600 as required.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate safe work place techniques in the lab.
- Identify the components of the heart lung machine (HLM) and the bypass circuit.
- Prepare a dry set-up of the HLM bypass circuit.
- Practice the techniques needed to successfully prime the HLM bypass circuit.
- Identify the important differences between operating a roller head and centrifugal pump.
- Perform the safety systems used to protect the patient during bypass surgery.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Perfusion Lab 1 (PERF 7500) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Perfusion Lab 1 (PERF 7500)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.