- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Cardiopulmonary bypass is a proven technology utilized in a variety of surgeries mostly involving the heart. As a Cardiovascular Perfusionist you are required to be the professional body responsible for the techniques and safe application of extracorporeal circuitry. This course will teach you about the equipment and the various techniques used to safely conduct cardiopulmonary bypass. Descriptions of the most common surgeries requiring Cardiopulmonary Bypass will also be discussed.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of PERF 7200 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 05 - Fri Dec 15 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 42235
- Domestic fees $1328.99International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Sep 05 - Dec 15||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This is an online course requiring computer and internet access. This course is reserved for students who have been accepted into the Cardiovascular Perfusion Advanced Specialty Certificate program. Textbooks will be available for purchase at the BCIT Burnaby Campus Bookstore approximately six weeks before the start of term. Your Program Assistant will be in contact with you via email with course registration details prior to the course start date. For PTS Perfusion inquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
In Progress and Full
This course offering is in progress and full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- the history and evolution of open – heart surgery
- the most common types of heart and aortic surgeries
- the major components of the heart/lung machine
- Analyze the general design of components that constitute the extra corporeal circuit (ECC)
- Describe priming of the EC circuit and the solutions used to prime the EC circuit
- Describe the systemic effects of the ECC on blood components and the inflammatory response
- Describe the importance of maintaining aseptic and sterile techniques
- Explain the principles involved in cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)
- Describe common open heart surgical procedures related to cardiovascular anatomy and physiology
- Analyze the concept of hemodilution and its physiological effects during CPB
- Apply concepts involved in myocardial protection while on CPB
- Differentiate the various cannulation techniques used for CPB and cardioplegia delivery
- Explain the principles involved in the initiation, maintenance, and termination of Cardiopulmonary bypass
- Illustrate the techniques used in initiation, maintenance and weaning from CPB
- Analyze the concept of metabolic demand of the body and myocardium during CPB
- Determine the effects of Acid-base balance, Flow/pressure, autoregulation, temperature and anaesthesia have on metabolism
- Describe the components of the heart lung machine and heater-cooler units
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Perfusion Equipment and Techniques 1 (PERF 7200) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Perfusion Equipment and Techniques 1 (PERF 7200)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.