The practicing Cardiovascular Perfusionist must have a thorough understanding of the concepts and application of pharmacology in clinical practice. This must include but not be limited to: understanding drug delivery, dosages, mechanism of action, and safety of use. Also included in this course will be concepts related to Cardiac Anaesthesia and the care of the cardiac patient in the OR setting.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe Medical Terminology as related to pharmacology.
- Analyze drug dosages, drug interactions and how drug specificity relates to drug receptors.
- Explain nomenclature of drugs.
- Describe routes of administration .
- Differentiate Pharmaceutical and Pharmacokinetic phase and their components.
- Categorize the concepts of Bioavailability/Biological Availability.
- Discuss Pharmacodynamic phase and its components.
- Differentiate the terms efficacy/affinity/agonist/antagonist in pharmacology.
- Compare the terms potency/ED50/LD50 and therapeutic index.
- Analyze neuronal action potential and synaptic transmission.
- Describe the 2 functional braches of the ANS and their receptors.
- Outline the role of cAMP/gAMP.
- Differentiate the anaesthesia/analgesia/amnesia/sedation.
- Contrast the actions of induction/intubation/ventilation.
- Outline the use of opioids in anaesthesia.
- Assess the uses of:
- IV anaesthetics
- benzodiazepines in anaesthesia
- neuromuscular relaxants in anaesthesia
- inhalation agents in anaesthesia
- Assess Malignant Hyperthermia and its treatment.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Cardiac Anaesthesia and Clinical Pharmacology 1 (PERF 7100) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cardiac Anaesthesia and Clinical Pharmacology 1 (PERF 7100)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.