Frequently Asked Questions

Your student account

Your schedule

Your documents

Your grades

Your student account

How do I get my BCIT student number?

Students that have never attended or have never applied to BCIT will be assigned a student number when applying to a full-time program or when registering for their first part-time studies course.

If you forget your student number, you can search for it on the BCIT Secure Student Information System.


What happens if I have multiple student numbers?

Notify Student Records immediately by phone at 604-432-8353 or by email at They will arrange to have all of the information moved to one student number only.


How do I change the name on my records?

If your name has been legally changed, you will need to fill out Change of Name form [PDF] and submit all of the following documentation to Student Records in person, by mail or e-mail.   

  1. A copy of legal name change document or married certificate
  2. A copy of government-issued ID (e.g. driver's license, passport, or provincial ID) with your new name

If you bring in the originals, we will make copies for you. If you cannot locate your name change document, we will accept two government-issued IDs which reflect your new name.

If your name is spelled incorrectly or a name other than your legal name is on your records (e.g. you have used a nickname as your first name), notify Student Records for a name correction.  Please submit a copy of two government-issued IDs in person, by mail or e-mail.


What happens if I forget my password?

If you forget the password for logging in to the computer labs on campus or to your myBCIT account, please contact Client Services at 604-412-7444 (option 1) for assistance.


Your schedule

Where do I get the class schedule?

Log into your account at myBCIT to see your class schedule.  Please note this schedule is subject to change.


How do I withdraw from a Part-time Studies class or classes?

All Part-time Studies course withdrawals must be submitted using the official Part-time Studies Course Withdrawal form [PDF].

For further information on withdrawing from a Part-time Studies course, visit the Part-time Studies Withdrawals page. For information about part-time studies refunds, please visit Part-time Studies Fees and Refunds.


How do I withdraw from a course within my full-time program?

If you decide to withdraw from any of the courses within your program, contact your program head. The program head will send the necessary information for withdrawal to Student Records.


How do I withdraw from a program?

Technology students can withdraw from their program by completing the Full-time Technology Withdrawal form [PDF] and submitting to Student Records.

Trades students can withdraw from their program by completing the Trades Withdrawal form [PDF] and submitting to Student Records.


How do I apply for course transfer or credit exemption?

You can apply for transfer credit if you have taken a course at a previous institution that is similar to one offered in your program, or if you have taken an equivalent course through BCIT. Transfer credit application forms are available from Student Records. One application form is required for each course that you are trying to transfer.

Please view BCIT's Admissions policy [PDF] for more information regarding transfer credit.


Your documents

How do I request my official BCIT transcript?

Ordering online at myBCIT is the easiest and most efficient way to request an official transcript. Visit the Official Transcript Request page for further information and instructions.Top

What should I do if I think there is an error on my BCIT transcript?

If you think there is an error on your transcript, please contact Student Records at 604-432-8353. Student Records can investigate or explain and recommend the course of action to correct the error if necessary.


Why does my transcript indicate my program as general studies?

If you are taking part-time studies courses towards a credential but have not declared your program, your transcript will indicate that your program is general studies.  Please see the Program Declaration page for instructions on declaring your program.

When you apply for program approval, your program will be declared for each term on your transcript from the date that you have received your approval letter. If you have applied and been approved for a program, and your transcript indicates your program as general studies, please contact Student Records.


How do I get a letter of enrolment or verification?

Standard letters of verification can be obtained online through myBCIT free of charge. Please visit our Letters of Verification page for instructions.

If you require additional information to be included on your letter, submit a Customized Letter of Verification Request [PDF] to request a customized letter (fees apply).

If a rush customized verification letter is required, please contact Student Records as during peak processing times this service may not be available.

Please note: There are other ways of verifying your enrolment. If required, students should check with the requestor. Here are some other ways to verify enrolment:

Students that require letters of enrolment for government-issued student loans should check with Financial Aid as a letter from the school may not be required.


Where do I take forms that need to be signed by the registrar or school?

If you are a student currently attending BCIT, bring the forms to Student Records. Forms are processed in the order they are received. There is a processing time of five business days for all forms.

If you have applied to a full-time program and have not yet started classes, bring the forms to Admissions.


How do I get a replacement diploma or certificate?

Diplomas and certificates are issued once to the student. Copies of these documents are not kept by BCIT. If your credential has been lost, destroyed or stolen, please request your replacement credential from Student Records by completing the Replacement Document Request form [PDF].

Please note: If you received a statement of completion for a part-time studies course, it was likely issued by the course program area. If you require a replacement statement of completion, please contact the program area directly.


How do I get a receipt for my tuition payment?

Tuition payment receipts are available for viewing and download through myBCIT.

  1. Log on to myBCIT.
  2. Click on Online Self Service.
  3. Click on Student Self Service.
  4. Click on Fee assessment, payment and receipts.
  5. Choose View/print your tuition receipt.

For assistance, contact Student Information and Enrolment Services.

For additional fee information, please see Fees and Financial Aid.


When is T2202A available? What if I want more information about T2202A?

T2202A (Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate) is available on by the end of February each year for the preceding calendar year. You can find more information on Tax information - T2202A.


Your grades


Where can I view my official grades and when will they be posted?

You can view your official grades at myBCIT:

  1. Log in to myBCIT.
  2. Click the Check Grades link under Online Self Service.
  3. Click Final Grades.
  4. Pick your term from the Drop Down menu.

You will not be able to see your grades for the current term until BCIT has completed the grading process for your courses. If four weeks have passed since your course was completed and you wish to make an enquiry, please phone Student Records at 604-432-8353.

Student Records staff will not give grades to students over the phone or at the counter. They can only notify a student if the grades have been received or not.

Please note: Component grades (mid-term exams, assignments, etc.) may be available at your Desire to Learn instance.


How is my GPA calculated?

A student's GPA is calculated as a weighted average or grade point average. The weighted average equals the sum of the grade(s) earned multiplied by the credit value for each course(s), divided by the credit(s) attempted for both term and cumulative terms.

Generally speaking, the more credits assigned to a course, the more that course's grade will affect that term's GPA and the overall GPA.

All courses are included in the GPA calculation. Exceptions are grades of S, U, W, F (without a grade), TCR, ECR, CCR, AUD, ATT, EXT, LW, %L, SL, NGR, RTD, CIP and CFT. For more information about how grades calculate into GPA, please review BCIT's Student Evaluation policy [PDF].

Term Weighted Average Calculations

Example 1. Consider a term with the following percentage grades:

% Grade   Credits Attempted   Grade Points Achieved
51 X 6.00 = 306
68 X 5.00 = 340
65 X 3.00 = 195
46F X 7.00 = 322
53 X 6.00 = 318
64 X 3.00 = 192
    30.00   1673

Total credits attempted = 30.00 (includes a 7-credit course graded as 46F)
Total credits passed = 23.00
Weighted average for the term = 55.77
1673 / 30 = 55.77

Example 2. Consider a term with the following grades and transfer credits:

% Grade   Credits Attempted   Grade Points Achieved
52 X 6.00* = 312
58 X 5.00* = 290
N X 3.00* = 000
TCR X 7.00 = 000
ECR X 6.00 = 000
S X 3.00 = 000
U X 4.00 = 000
59 X 3.00* = 177
    *17.00   779

Total *credits attempted = 17.00 (includes a 3-credit course graded as "N")
+ credits passed = 24.00 (includes credits for course grades 50% or higher and those graded as "S" and "TCR"

Weighted average for term = 45.82
779 / 17 = 45.82

Cumulative Term Weighted Average Calculation

Cumulative term weighted average is the same as described in the examples 1 & 2 above, but considers all terms of registration.

Cumulative term weighted average = total grade point sum achieved / total sum credits attempted

The cumulative average for examples 1 & 2 is:
(1673 + 779) / (30 + 17) = 52.17


Can you explain the grades and standing codes?

Please review the Grading Procedure [PDF].


What happens if I fail a course?

If you fail a course, the grade will be indicated on the transcript. That grade will remain on your transcript and calculate into the GPA even if you retake the course.


Does BCIT keep a record of past grades?

All grades for courses taken at BCIT will appear on your BCIT transcript. In some instances, grades may not be in the computer system and can only be found on microfiche. This will apply to PVI students, BCVS students, some trades students and PMTC students prior to merging with BCIT.