Delivery mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
Meet Kevin Schaftlein, third year Machinist Apprentice:
The machinist apprenticeship requires time spent on the job and in-school training. A Machinist apprentice must complete a four-year program consisting of 6,330 workplace hours and 870 in-school hours of training. After completion of training, a passing grade on the interprovincial exam will result in the B.C. Certificate of Apprenticeship, the B.C. Certificate of Qualification, and the Interprovincial Standard Endorsement, also known as Red Seal.
BCIT offers all four levels of technical training for the machinist apprenticeship.
Harmonized Machinist Apprenticeship
Due to the Pan-Canadian Harmonization Initiative, apprentices beginning Level 1 or 2 after April 1, 2020 will be required to complete their levels in the harmonized program. Any technical training and/or work-based training hours on their record will be transferred over.
Harmonized apprentice levels will be scheduled as follows:
- Level 1 intakes offered after April 2020
- Level 2 intakes offered after April 2020
- Level 3 intakes offered after April 2021
- Level 4 intakes offered after Sept 2021
Current Machinist apprentices will have the following options to complete their training:
Option 1: complete the current program
Current apprentices are encouraged to complete each level of training in their current stream as follows:
- Level 1 by March 31, 2020
- Level 2 by March 31, 2020
- Level 3 by March 31, 2021
- Level 4 by August 31, 2021
Option 2: transition from the current stream to the harmonized stream
Current apprentices that need to transition to the new program may need to complete GAP training in order to enter the new stream.
- Transition from current Level 1 to harmonized Level 2 after April 1, 2020 – 3 days of GAP training is required
- Transition from current Level 2 to harmonized Level 3 after April 1, 2021 – GAP training to be determined
- Transition from current Level 2 to harmonized Level 3 after September 1, 2021 – GAP training to be determined
Please visit the ITA’s Machinist page For more information on the Machinist Apprenticeship and its transition to the harmonized format.
If you have any questions about the BCIT Machinist Apprenticeship program, contact Stefano Pettenon, Department Head, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Costs & Supplies
Graduating & Jobs
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Stefano Pettenon, RSE
Marte Arreola, MEd, RSE
Chelsea Barron, RSE
Ali Daeizadeh, RSE
Thomas Green, MEd, RSE
Andy Hofmann, RSE
Karl Reichenback, Tool and Die TQ
Mustafa Sajid, RSE, Tool and Die ON
Greg Wahl, RSE, Tool and Die IP
Mechanical Maintenance Technician
Tool Room Attendant
Tool Room Attendant
Paul Morrison, DipIT, BEng, ASct
Interim Associate Dean
BCIT Apprenticeship Service Office
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.