Experience-Based Credit Recognition is based on Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR). It is an opportunity for adult learners to receive course credit recognition for their work experience and workplace training through subject program area reviews.
Note: Not all courses have PLAR credit available, and there is a limit on how many total credits you can receive.
You may qualify for PLAR if you have one of the following:
- 5+ years of work experience in the subject area
- Canadian military experience
- Canadian and/or international work experience
- Are an experienced Tradesperson
- Instructed others in the subject matter
- Informal education in the field of study
Step 1: Request an assessment:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request your assessment.
Step 2: Pay your assessment fee
The BCIT Financial Services department will contact you shortly to process your payment. Do not send payment, credit card, or financial information to the EBP team.
Experience-Based Credit Recognition fee
The $250 non-refundable fee is for the assessment and not for credit. This fee must be paid before the assessment.
Step 3: Send your required documents
- Completed self-assessment.
- Resume/CV detailing your expertise in the field of study.
- Two references that can validate your work experience. Position title, relationship with the reference, phone number, and email must be provided.
- If applicable, workplace training documents.
Assessments can take up to 4-6 weeks. Approvals are based on individual assessments. Decisions are final.