The course provides a general overview of the water treatment process with a detailed discussion on how to operate individual components or subsystems that support a water treatment facility or system. The competencies which directly support the operation, repair, maintenance and construction of facilities or systems and competencies related to management and operations of water sources and watersheds are addressed by this course.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of WATR 1010 for the Fall 2023 term.
Mon Sep 11 - Sat Nov 11 (9 weeks)
- 9 weeks
- CRN 48547
Class meeting times
|Sep 11 - Nov 11||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
All applications must be approved by Andrea Dusanj, Andrea_Dusanj@bcit.ca, 604-432-8885. This course is taken together with the following courses: WATR 1020 – Wastewater Treatment; WATR 1030 – Water Distribution and Mechanical Systems; WATR 1040 – Wastewater Collection and Mechanical Systems; WATR 1050 Legislation, Safety and Communications. The tuition fees indicated include fees for all five course in the Associate Certificate in Fundamentals of Water and Wastewater Operations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Operate and follow maintenance procedures for equipment generally used in water treatment facilities and systems.
- Perform laboratory testing, including recording and presenting data, sampling and testing water.
- Perform measurements and calculations related to maintenance and operation of water treatment facilities and systems.
- Locate, identify and protect utilities.
- Monitor, coordinate and report watershed and groundwater extraction.
- Operate hypochlorite disinfection, sedimentation and clarification processes, intake structures, and underdrain systems.
Effective as of Winter 2021
Water Treatment Systems Operation (WATR 1010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Fundamentals of Water and Wastewater Operations
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Water Treatment Systems Operation (WATR 1010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.