In this course participants learn how to operate individual components or subsystems that support a Wastewater Treatment facility or system. The content also develops competencies that (i) directly support the operation, repair, maintenance and construction of different components of wastewater treatment facilities or systems; and (ii) relate to management and operations of wastewater treatment facilities or systems. Field work may include either virtual or face-to-face experiences.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to;
- Explain the importance of wastewater treatment.
- Describe typical wastewater treatment system components and processes.
- Operate, control and maintain various treatment system components and processes.
- Explain the process of sampling and testing of wastewater for basic water quality parameters including: performing laboratory tests using standard methods and procedures; record, analyze, present and store data.
- Operate, control and maintain pumping equipment, valves and ventilation systems.
- Facilitate the use of SCADA systems in a team or work area.
- Measure and calculate appropriately to determine task and material requirements for jobs in the construction work environment including performing standard calibrations using probes and laboratory equipment.
Effective as of Winter 2021
Wastewater Treatment Systems Operation (WATR 1020) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Fundamentals of Water and Wastewater Operations
Associate Certificate Part-time/Distance & Online Learning
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Wastewater Treatment Systems Operation (WATR 1020)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.