In this course, students will study camera tools and apply photographic techniques to their pictures. Topics explored include; aperture settings, ISO settings, shutter speeds, on and off camera flash, depth of field, lens choice and compositional concepts. Through lectures and lab time, students will also study lighting for portraiture, low light photography, how and when to use a tripod, and common camera settings including: histograms, self-timers, as well as camera sensor cleaning, and camera care.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MDIA 1099 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Wed Feb 08 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 70572
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Feb 08||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Students must have access to a DSLR or Mirrorless camera system that has a lens and memory card, a tripod would also be recommended but not required. The camera system used must be able to provide full manual control over all settings as well as capture in camera RAW file format. Most DSLR or Mirrorless camera systems on the market would meet this criteria. Off camera flash an asset, not needed for first class. This is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. It is important you have a stable and consistent internet connection to access course content. Please log into learn.bcit.ca using your BCIT student email and password on the first day of class. You will require access to the Adobe Creative Cloud in order to complete this course. Students who are currently registered in one or more part-time courses can purchase a subscription for Adobe Creative Cloud Pro at a discount through BCIT’s new software portal kb.bcit.ca/student/adobe-creative-cloud-subscription-part-time-student-3130 If this section is full, you can add your contact information to the School of Business Waitlist: sobptswaitlist.bcitsitecentre.ca
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Define the tools in a 35mm digital camera
- Analyze a photograph for technical details
- Apply compositional techniques into images
- Explore alternative lighting sources to create visual impact
- Evaluate a scene prior to capturing
- Develop a personal system of photo‐file management
- Enhance images using different camera settings and filters
- Differentiate between a strong image and a weak image
- Demonstrate the three main exposure tools
- Recognize the appropriate lighting conditions for the subject
Effective as of Fall 2013
Photography 1 (MDIA 1099) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Photography 1 (MDIA 1099)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.