The eighty-hour practicum, which takes place in either a physician's office, clinic, hospital department, or related health-care facility, enables you to apply the skills that you have learned in the BCIT program. For many, this experience is their gateway into the health-care system. Some keys to a successful practicum experience include having excellent communication skills, having compassion for patients, maintaining confidentiality, having a keen eye for detail, and being fluent in computer software. The course also includes class time to help you prepare for a successful workplace experience. You will write a resume and cover letter matched to a medical office assistant (MOA) position, create and post your profile and resume on a social media site, and prepare for and practice interview skills. After the practicum, you will create and deliver a presentation that describes your practicum experience. You will need to complete the following before the start date: current certification of the two-day St. John's Ambulance Standard First Aid for Industry – WorkSafeBC Level 1 Equivalent course, which includes CPR level C and the AED content; a criminal record check; up-to-date immunizations. Failure to provide all the required documents before the course start date will result in you being dropped from the practicum. A minimum keyboarding speed of up to 55 words per minute; and/or successful completion of a terminology test. Note: Since first aid certifications expire, we recommend that you complete the above First Aid course shortly before the OFFC 2018 Practicum. If the certification is recent, then you will still have the certification after you graduate when you are looking for a job.
Below is one offering of OFFC 2018 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Mon Mar 27 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 86264
Class meeting times
|Jan 09||Mon||18:00 - 21:30||Online|
|Jan 09 - Mar 27||N/A||N/A||Online|
|Mar 27||Mon||18:00 - 21:30||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
Check your program approval letter. All other courses must be completed before registering into the Practicum. ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY TO THE FIRST AND LAST ONLINE CLASSES at the dates and times indicated on your course schedule. Please note those classes start at 6pm. Students must be available for day shifts at a host location between those dates. If this section is full, contact the Program Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org and INCLUDE YOUR STUDENT NUMBER.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Write a targeted cover letter and resume for a medical office.
- Demonstrate that you are prepared for a practicum interview.
- Demonstrate effective communication, interpersonal, and team skills in all work duties, where communication skills require clear spoken and written English, correct medical terminology, accurate spelling, and correct grammar.
- Show patience and compassion when dealing with patients and their family members while maintaining privacy.
- Demonstrate professionalism in all work duties.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, decision-making, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrate fluent computer literacy.
- Record notes and enter information accurately and reconfirm, as is needed.
- Maintain patient files confidentially and accurately.
- Schedule and rearrange appointments accurately.
- Demonstrate accurate billing procedures.
- Follow medical office procedures.
- Demonstrate patient preparation for various visits and medical procedures.
- Maintain, sanitize, and sterilize medical equipment.
- Demonstrate how to use medical equipment.
- Perform and interpret basic diagnostic tests.
- Perform the infection control protocol needed for a given situation.
- Create and deliver a presentation, using software that describes your practicum experience.
Effective as of Fall 2018
MOA Practicum (OFFC 2018) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Medical Office Assistant
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of MOA Practicum (OFFC 2018)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.