The eighty-hour practicum, which takes place in either a physician's office, clinic, hospital department, or related health-care facility, enables you to apply the skills that you have learned in the BCIT program. For many, this experience is their gateway into the health-care system. Some keys to a successful practicum experience include having excellent communication skills, having compassion for patients, maintaining confidentiality, having a keen eye for detail, and being fluent in computer software. The course also includes class time to help you prepare for a successful workplace experience. You will write a resume and cover letter matched to a medical office assistant (MOA) position, create and post your profile and resume on a social media site, and prepare for and practice interview skills. After the practicum, you will create and deliver a presentation that describes your practicum experience. For some practicum and employment positions (e.g., in hospitals), you will need the following: current certification of the two-day St. John's Ambulance Standard First Aid for Industry – WorkSafeBC Level 1 Equivalent course, which includes CPR level C and the AED content; a criminal record check; up-to-date immunizations; a minimum keyboarding speed of up to 55 words per minute; and/or successful completion of a terminology test. Note: Since first aid certifications expire, we recommend that you complete the above First Aid course shortly before the OFFC 2018 Practicum. If the certification is recent, then you will still have the certification after you graduate when you are looking for a job.
Below is one offering of OFFC 2018 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Sep 12 - Mon Nov 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 45363
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Nov 28||Mon||18:00 - 21:30||Online|
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
*Check your program approval letter. All required courses must be completed before registering into the Practicum. * Students spend the first and last days in class, and must be available for day shifts between those dates. *Online delivery, this is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Write a targeted cover letter and resume for a medical office.
- Demonstrate that you are prepared for a practicum interview.
- Demonstrate effective communication, interpersonal, and team skills in all work duties, where communication skills require clear spoken and written English, correct medical terminology, accurate spelling, and correct grammar.
- Show patience and compassion when dealing with patients and their family members while maintaining privacy.
- Demonstrate professionalism in all work duties.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, decision-making, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrate fluent computer literacy.
- Record notes and enter information accurately and reconfirm, as is needed.
- Maintain patient files confidentially and accurately.
- Schedule and rearrange appointments accurately.
- Demonstrate accurate billing procedures.
- Follow medical office procedures.
- Demonstrate patient preparation for various visits and medical procedures.
- Maintain, sanitize, and sterilize medical equipment.
- Demonstrate how to use medical equipment.
- Perform and interpret basic diagnostic tests.
- Perform the infection control protocol needed for a given situation.
- Create and deliver a presentation, using software that describes your practicum experience.
Effective as of Fall 2018
MOA Practicum (OFFC 2018) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Medical Office Assistant
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of MOA Practicum (OFFC 2018)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.