Cardiovascular Perfusion Clinical 4 is a continuation of PERF 8300. The students are expected to improve upon the level of competency gained in previous clinical courses. In this clinical course, students will continue to review and apply the objectives introduced in previous rotations, as well as prepare and apply advanced Perfusion techniques and technologies. Review of CPB case studies will assist the students in understanding various clinical scenarios and conditions that have presented in the past and how they were managed.
- S in PERF 8300
Below is one offering of PERF 8400 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Mar 20 - Fri Jun 30 (14 weeks)
- 14 weeks
- CRN 91053
Class meeting times
|Mar 20 - Jun 30||Mon - Fri||07:00 - 15:00||Aerospace Technology|
- Departmental approval needed
Please contact the program assistant for approval to register.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Display the safe application of objectives from PERF 8100, PERF 8200 and PERF 8300.
- Describe the indications/evaluations of patients for Heart Transplantation.
- Perform effective and safe management of CPB case during Heart Transplantation.
- Describe indications/case setup and management of Lung and Liver Transplant cases.
- Describe the indications and clinical differences between; Veno-venous Extra Corporeal Oxygenation (VV ECMO), Extracorporeal Life Support (ECLS), Veno-Arterial Extra Corporeal Oxygenation (VA) ECMO, Ventricular Assist Device (VAD).
- Explain ECMO objectives from didactic Year 1.
- Prepare and prime ECMO circuit.
- Assess potential VV ECMO, ECLS, VA ECMO patients and safely prepare associated circuitry and pumps.
- Review the various cannulation and anticoagulation techniques for: VV ECMO, ECLS, VA ECMO.
- Safely perform initiation, maintenance and weaning from ECMO.
- Review indications, contraindications, setup and operation for the various ventricular assist devices (VADS), implantable artificial hearts, and implantable cardiac assist devices.
- Describe physiologic principles involved in the use of VADS.
- Describe and demonstrate safe transport techniques for patients requiring extracorporeal support.
- Describe indications, use and processing techniques for Platelet Gel Therapy
- Describe indications and techniques for Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass (OPCAB) surgery.
- Describe the setup of Cardiac Robotic cases.
- Prepare or describe the CPB pump and circuit for minimally invasive cardiac surgeries.
- Describe and assist in the cannulation for minimally invasive CPB.
- Evaluate CPB case studies, and correlate clinical history and physiological findings with case management.
- Participate in the evaluation of new equipment and techniques.
- Communicate effectively during the procedure with all members of the health care team.
- Perform post-op CPB evaluation and, reflect on individual performance and set goals for improvement.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Cardiovascular Perfusion Clinical 4 (PERF 8400) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cardiovascular Perfusion Clinical 4 (PERF 8400)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.