This communication course teaches business writing skills needed to write many types of business correspondence. It covers claim, bad-news and sales letters, job applications, and the writing of procedures and instructions. NOTE: Students scoring below "C+" in level 1 COMM are required to take COMM 2002 instead of COMM 2202. To make up for a full-time diploma program level 2 COMM course, students must take both COMM 2202 (or COMM 2002) and COMM 2203 (or COMM 2003). If you have BCIT full-time diploma program level 1 COMM course credit, email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for approval to register.
Below is one offering of COMM 2202 for the Fall 2022 term.
Fri Sep 16 - Fri Dec 02 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 32301
Class meeting times
|Sep 16 - Dec 02||N/A||N/A||Online|
|Dec 02||Fri||18:30 - 21:30||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
RESERVED: Course registration is restricted to students who have achieved a final grade of 70%+ in a 3-credit BCIT COMM 1100-level course or a 3-credit university/college composition course. *(A)*If your final grade is between 50 to 69% in one of the above courses, you can instead take COMM 2002. COMM 2002 IS FULLY EQUIVALENT TO COMM 2202. BCIT will allow you to switch from COMM 2202 to COMM 2002. Upon successful completion of COMM 2002, you will earn 3 credits towards your program to replace COMM 2202. *(B)*ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE DELIVERY: This is not a self-paced course. There will be specific timelines for assignments and exams. You will have readings, discussions, peer review, and assignments to complete each week (although you do NOT have to be online at a particular time or on a particular day). On the start date of your class (not before), log into learn.bcit.ca to access your course link. *(C)*SYNCHRONOUS ONLINE FINAL EXAM: You will be required to take the final exam in an online environment on Friday, December 2, from 6:30PM to 9:30PM. Online attendance for the final exam beginning at 6:30PM and ending at 9:30PM is mandatory.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Follow a systematic process in planning and writing memos and letters.
- Select and organize information to meet the needs of readers.
- Write sentences that are clear, concise, and correct.
- Achieve a positive, persuasive reader-oriented tone in your writing.
- Use effective planning strategies and organizational patterns for:
- Requests and replies
- Claim and adjustment messages
- 'bad news' messages
- Persuasive messages and sales letters
- Definitions, descriptions, instructions and graphics.
- Prepare a professional resume and application letter.
- Critically evaluate information to determine if it is accurate, relevant, and complete, and to use critical thinking to develop strong arguments.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Business and Technical Correspondence (COMM 2202) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Advanced Business Management
- Advanced Human Resource Management
- Advanced Marketing Management
- Business Administration (General Option)
- Business Administration (Global Studies Option)
- Business Administration (Human Resources Option)
- Business Administration (Management Option)
- Business Administration (Marketing Option)
- Business Fundamentals
Associate Certificate Full-time
- Financial Management (Finance Option)
- Financial Management (Professional Accounting Option)
- Financial Planning
- Fire Executive Management
BCIT/Industry Partnership Certificate Part-time
- Marketing Management
- Media Techniques for Business
School of Construction and the Environment
- Civil Technology
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Business and Technical Correspondence (COMM 2202)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.