This communication course is designed for students needing additional assistance in meeting the language standards of a credit advanced business and technical Communication course. This course teaches the business writing skills needed to produce effective business and technical reports: inspection, trip, incident, and progress reports, proposals, feasibility studies, formal reports, oral reports, summaries and graphics. It covers the same content as COMM 2203, but has additional English language support and communication development. NOTE: Students scoring below "C+" in level 1 COMM must take COMM 2003 instead of COMM 2203. To make up for a full-time diploma program level 2 COMM course, students must take both COMM 2002 (or COMM 2202) and COMM 2003 (or COMM 2203). If you have BCIT full-time diploma program level 1 COMM course credit, email email@example.com to apply for approval to register.
Below is one offering of COMM 2003 for the Fall 2022 term.
Wed Sep 14 - Wed Nov 30 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 47335
Class meeting times
|Sep 14 - Oct 12||Wed||18:00 - 21:30||Burnaby SW01 Rm. 2045|
|Oct 19||Wed||18:00 - 21:30||Burnaby SE12 Rm. 320|
|Oct 26||Wed||18:00 - 21:30||Burnaby SW01 Rm. 2045|
|Nov 02||Wed||18:00 - 21:30||Burnaby SE12 Rm. 320|
|Nov 09 - Nov 23||Wed||18:00 - 21:30||Burnaby SW01 Rm. 2045|
|Nov 30||Wed||18:00 - 21:30||Burnaby SE12 Rm. 320|
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
*(A)*Please take level 1 COMM (i.e., complete your COMM 1103 or COMM 1106 or equivalent) before taking COMM 2003. *(B)*COMM 2003 AND COMM 2203 ARE FULLY EQUIVALENT/INTERCHANGABLE. Upon successful completion of this course, you will earn 3 credits which will be automatically applied towards your program to replace COMM 2203. No further action is required on your part. *(C)*CLASS SIZE LIMIT: Once the enrolment limit has been reached (FULL), you will not be able to join this class –no capacity override. This course is offered every term, so you will also have the opportunity to take it next term. Register early to secure your seat.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Plan and write business and technical reports that meet professional standards of organization, style, and presentation.
- Use an appropriate and correct writing style.
- Plan and write reports that effectively present information.
- Identify and analyze problems.
- Propose and evaluate solutions.
- Use the most effective organizational pattern for various types of informational and analytical reports.
- Make correct and effective use of graphics and illustrations in reports.
- Write a persuasive proposal.
- Follow appropriate conventions in preparing and packaging a formal report.
- Prepare and deliver an informative and persuasive oral report.
- Critically evaluate information to determine if it is accurate, relevant, and complete, and to use critical thinking to develop strong arguments.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Business and Technical Reports With Language Development Component (COMM 2003) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Business and Technical Reports With Language Development Component (COMM 2003)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.