In the ever-changing, fast-paced environment of global news, the Backpack Journalist on the ground is emerging as the vital link for the world audience. In this introductory course, you will explore what it takes to find and tell that compelling visual story from conception to final edit. You will focus on using smaller professional video cameras, both creatively and technically, and the basics of digital video editing, which is the realm of the Video Journalist. Additionally, you will also learn to use your smartphone to capture professional video and audio in the new world of the Mobile Journalist. You will develop interview and on-camera skills, and utilize these skill sets to produce a news-style story as a final project. This is a hands-on course where you will write, shoot, edit, and present news stories. In this career, you will work as a journalistic one-man band. Through this course, you will be equipped with many of the skills needed to begin exploring the world of the Backpack Journalist.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Research the content needed for a video story for television or online.
- Write a broadcast-style script.
- Shoot a video story using a video camera, smartphone, and related audio equipment.
- Perform on-camera and record a voice-over.
- Edit video footage into a compelling story using digital editing software.
- Produce the final video project for television or online that incorporates all of the necessary elements needed for a good story.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2017
Backpack Video Journalism (BCST 1190) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Backpack Video Journalism (BCST 1190)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.