Welcome to BCIT Industry Services
The BCIT Business + Media Industry Services undertakes prior learning related research and assessment activities which result in advanced placement education options for British Columbians.
Having both a technology and business focus, we are uniquely positioned to bridge the link between technologies and business applications. In this respect, we can assist you in establishing the economic viability of your technology and other projects.
Public sector, small-to-medium sized companies, and non-profit organizations may not have the luxury of having their own in-house research capabilities. The BCIT Business + Media Industry Services can fill this gap, by providing you with such a capability on an as-needed basis.
The School’s mission is to:
- Facilitate the recognition and transferability of education across a wide range of disciplines, the objective being to produce multi-disciplinary trained/skilled graduates who are valued by industry.
- Recognize and measure non-traditional training and workplace experience, thereby facilitating advanced placement and credits within the post-secondary education system in British Columbia.
Economic value is created by employees who apply their competencies, knowledge, social and personality attributes, including creativity, to produce goods and services, to improve organizational and systems processes, and to find and exploit new opportunities.
The BCIT Business + Media Industry Services is able to provide a range of human capital related services with School of Business faculty who possess academic knowledge and practical industry experience in economics and human resource management.
- Undertaking personnel career interest and aptitude assessments
- Assessing the economic impact of business operations and education
- Identifying labour market shortages and surpluses
- Mapping Advanced Placement & Prior Learning (APPL) paths into post-secondary
The APPL Method
“Reveal the value of your life’s work”
We believe your life’s work is education. By considering the cumulative knowledge of training and experience, we create a personalized education pathway for you or your organization.
The BCIT SITE Centre uses the Advanced Placement & Prior Learning (APPL) method to create flexible entry pathways for specialized groups and adult learners.
APPL – Advanced Placement & Prior Learning is an innovative approach to translating experience into BCIT credits. The APPL method goes beyond traditional course-by-course equivalency of the Prior Learning Assessment Recognition (PLAR) as well as assessing for direct placement into an upper level of a BCIT business program. This model builds on the assumption that “the whole is greater than the sum of the parts”.
APPL evaluates an individual’s combined:
- Workplace training
- Experience (employment, volunteer work, etc.)
- Previous education
You may be eligible for our APPL flexible entry pathways under a specialized group:
Or, you may be eligible as an adult learner if you have a combination of post-secondary and/or professional experience.
We invite you to explore the website, and then get in touch with us to discuss your pathway or a partnership pathway for your organization. You are closer than you think to earning a post-secondary credential!
For those who are thinking about becoming self-employed by starting your own business, consider the Coast Capital Savings Entrepreneur Skills Training for Trades and Technology.