Delivery Mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
BCIT’s highly unique Perinatal Nursing Specialty program (perinatal-perioperative option) has been designed exclusively for the family birthing (FB) unit. Skilled perinatal nurses are sponsored through this program to gain expertise in providing perioperative care for patients and their families undergoing cesarean section births and recoveries.
Based on the needs of the regional FB units, this program is usually offered once per year. Are you interested and do you meet the requirements for this program? Talk to your employer about professional development opportunities.
About the program
- Part-time theory program with a full-time clinical that takes 2 terms (approximately 6-8 months) to complete
- Distance and online theory learning format gives you flexibility to continue working as you study
- One clinical experience in a BC health authority
Who it’s for
This program is for experienced perinatal registered nurses, who:
- Have 6 or more months of relevant work experience in perinatal nursing
- Have completed the BCIT Perinatal Nursing Advanced Certificate program or similar perinatal education
- Have an industry sponsor in place in the Fraser Health Authority or an FB unit site
- Are currently providing perioperative care for patients undergoing cesarean section birth and recovery
This program requires sponsorship in order to enrol.
Costs & Supplies
Face respirator fit testing – approx $25 per year; annual re-fitting required.
BCIT’s Perinatal Nursing Specialty program offers Post-diploma registered nurses an Advanced Certificate in Perinatal nursing and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Specialty Nursing (BSN).
Nurses may bridge out after obtaining an Advanced Certificate in Perinatal nursing or continue to complete the BSN.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads are ready
Family Birthing (FB) units trust our program to deliver the skills they, and their patients, need. We have tailor-made this program to FB units’ specific requirements and we ensure their perinatal nurses are ready to work in perioperative-perinatal care.
Positions are based on the needs of the FB unit. Managers and leaders determine the opportunities for work and professional development. If you’re interested, and meet the program requirements, talk to your employer about career and educational opportunities.
Health Match BC
Health Match BC is a new service that helps recent specialty nursing graduates find work within BC. Funded by the provincial government, Health Match BC prioritizes the hiring of BC nursing graduates. For more information, download the Health Match BC [PDF].
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 6706
Perinatal – Perioperative Program Information please contact:
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 8875
Perinatal Program Information please contact:
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 7102
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.