The BCIT Honours in Biotechnology program gives students the best of two educational leaders: the University of British Columbia’s (UBC’s) theoretical and research expertise and BCIT’s hands-on laboratory training and high calibre foundational courses. We’ve partnered with UBC’s Department of Microbiology and Immunology to offer a unique and comprehensive learning experience.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person for the coming semester.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
About the program
For more than 15 years, this joint program has prepared students with current scientific and technical expertise and the business and communication skills to start their biotechnology careers as soon as they graduate.
- Five-year, full-time Bachelor of Science Honours program
- Years 2 and 3 at BCIT set the foundation with in-class learning and applied lab skills
- Years 4 and 5 at UBC deepen your theoretical knowledge and application
- Co-op placement expands your learning with practical work experience
See Program Details for more information on BCIT and UBC’s Honours in Biotechnology program.
Who it’s for
This program is for individuals who:
- Have completed their first year of university or college
- Are willing and excited to work in a co-op placement
- Are interested in working in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Want to develop critical thinking and analytical skills
Find out more about entrance requirements and how to apply. Visit Entrance Requirements.
What grads can do
From research and development to medicine, business, and law our grads are finding biotechnology careers in many industries. Discover more at Graduating and Jobs.
Are you considering Biotechnology? Watch UBC and BCIT’s Honours in Biotechnology video.
Costs & Supplies
The Honours in Biotechnology program is intended to produce students with strong scientific and technical backgrounds who are also well schooled in business and communications.
The program addresses the documented need for people who can combine technical experience and training with expertise in other areas such as management, production, regulations and intellectual property. It provides a core set of skills that are important for employment in the biotechnology industry, government agencies or academic research labs, as well as for acceptance into graduate school. BCIT and UBC’s joint program recognizes the need for cross-discipline training and fosters collaborative interactions that strengthen undergraduate education.
The program is specifically designed to:
- develop adaptable students with the critical thinking skills that are relevant to the changing world of biotechnology
- provide students with practical training in the skills and techniques of biotechnology, who can work confidently in a laboratory environment
- integrate the laboratory and lecture components of the program through the use of an experiential approach to learning
- uniquely combine BCIT’s strength in providing practical, hands-on biotechnology training with UBC’s strength in leading-edge biotechnology research and teaching.
Watch the Biotechnology Program video to find out what Biotechnology students do.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads are ready
Science. Innovation. Business. Three of the many paths grads can take with a career in biotechnology. With this combined, cutting edge education, you will graduate ready to work in a multitude of life science opportunities.
On their career path, our grads can choose from a variety of areas, including:
- Life sciences research
- Biotechnology industry
- Pharmaceutical development
- Health care support services
- Regulation and quality assurance
- Intellectual property law
- Natural resources and agriculture
- Business development and operations
Our alumni are employed in a variety of fields. Read the Biotechnology Program FAQ on the UBC-BCIT Biotechnology Club website to find out about the many employment paths and opportunities upon graduation.
Continue to advance your education. Honours in Biotechnology grads can go on to get an MSc, PhD, MD, or MBA.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Sarah McLeod, BSc, PhD
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.