This course provides an introduction to the fundamental principles of field surveying and road design fundamentals.
- 75% in AMRC 1011
Below is one offering of AMRC 1012 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 12 weeks
- CRN 88876
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 12 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you immediately after registering. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This class is restricted to students from the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, require department approval to register. Contact email@example.com for information.
Upon successful compleltion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Perform basic mathematical and trigonometric calculations related to survey calculations.
- Describe the types of linear measurements and equipment used in the measurement of distance/length.
- Describe equipment used in leveling and elevation measurement.
- Determine measured angles displayed on survey equipment.
- Describe open and closed traverses.
- Determine map and plan distances utilizing various types of scales.
- State and define the terms and general requirements for the lay out and survey of construction work.
- Describe the highway design process and the levels of construction cost estimates.
- Describe the fundamentals of road classification, driver and vehicle performance, traffic characteristics and environmental requirements.
- Describe and explain the concept of sight distances.
- Describe the basic elements of horizontal and vertical highway design.
- Describe the various types of intersections and the criteria used to design intersections.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2020
Survey, Design Phases and Traffic Engineering (AMRC 1012) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Road Area Manager Certification
Statement of Completion Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Survey, Design Phases and Traffic Engineering (AMRC 1012)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.