This course covers the basics in highway construction and drainage maintenance as it relates to highway infrastructure. This includes a description of the common equipment used on highway construction sites and their purposes in excavation and earthmoving, along with introducing typical drainage systems, drainage appliances and the culvert installation process. Legal aspects of drainage issues are also covered, along with considerations to assist the Road Area Manager in assessments of these types of sites. Highway construction is described as it relates to the implementation of design on large infrastructure projects, along with the associated responsibilities on smaller projects for the Road Area Manager. The course finishes on reviewing key elements covered in the ministry’s manual of Environmental Best Practices for Highway Maintenance. It is important to understand that this course provides entry-level information only; to provide a foundation of knowledge with the technical manuals being cited for your future reference to details and use as required.
75% in AMRC 1012
Below is one offering of AMRC 1013 for the Spring/Summer 2022 term.
Start any time
- 12 weeks
- CRN 67548
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 12 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you immediately after registering. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This class is restricted to students from the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, require department approval to register. Contact email@example.com for information.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student would be able to:
- Recognize aspects of the layout survey of road construction on large highway projects;
- Define and discuss the operation of excavation and earthmoving on a highway construction project including the equipment used, methods of operation and interpretation of construction standards;
- Identify and discuss material types and construction characteristics as related to highway earth and rock excavations;
- Describe the importance of providing good drainage, be familiar with the common types of drainage issues in/around highway infrastructure and their related solutions for maintenance;
- Compare and contrast the various types of culverts and their appropriate applications;
- Explain the legal aspects of drainage and the associated legislation;
- Implement the proper methods used in installing culverts and other drainage appliances;
- Demonstrate the environmental effects of these systems and therefore make appropriate recommendations for the installation and maintenance of culverts;
- Execute and ensure environmental best practices in highway maintenance are followed.
Effective as of Winter 2020
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Highway Construction and Drainage (AMRC 1013)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.