Effective communication is essential in the role of an Area Manager. This course begins to prepare you to communicate information to various audiences including communicating with the public on government's behalf as a public servant. This course begins with a discussion of the overarching principles relating to general communication in the Area Manager role. The course then builds upon how these basic concepts can be applied to oral and written communication. We address the various forms and types of communications and describe the various audiences that an Area Manager can expect to encounter. We define the roles and responsibilities of various ministry staff, communities, stakeholders, and agencies. We describe key aspects of relationship building, an essential support of effective communication. Upon completion of this course, you will be equipped with a variety of tools to be an effective communicator.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of AMRC 1015 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 12 weeks
- CRN 90022
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 12 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you immediately after registering. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This class is restricted to students from the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, require department approval to register. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the roles and responsibilities in communication for various parties that the Area Manager will commonly work with.
- Describe common interests of the various highway users.
- Describe the eight principles of effective communication.
- Demonstrate how to communicate effectively when writing and speaking.
- Use effective organizational techniques to convey your message clearly.
- Describe communication methods that are common in the Area Manager role.
- Plan, organize, and successfully deliver an oral presentation.
- Describe the fundamentals to successfully navigate difficult conversations, conflict or negotiations.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2021
Ministry Communications (AMRC 1015) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Road Area Manager Certification
Statement of Completion Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Ministry Communications (AMRC 1015)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.