This course is an introduction to databases, their terminology and an overview of various data models and modelling techniques. Topics include relational database design, Codd's rules, constraints, relationships, normalization, and the structured query language (SQL). Examples will be GIS-based, use an ORDBMS for storage and web-based customizations.
- 50% in GIST 7010† († may be taken concurrently)
Below is one offering of GIST 7132 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 15 - Thu Dec 01 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 34251
Class meeting times
|Sep 15 - Dec 01||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
**IMPORTANT: The final exam must be written at an approved Exam Centre only. Details will be emailed to you after registering for the course or visit www.bcit.ca/construction/gisresources/faq/studentspt.shtml for information. For more information about online courses at BCIT, please visit: www.bcit.ca/distance/foryou.shtml Students must check your my.bcit.ca e-mail account for start-up instructions sent upon registration of this course. To be successful in our online courses, plan to spend 4-6 hours per course each week on your studies, starting Week 1. Our courses are highly interactive with participation requirements weekly. Most of our online learning courses require a textbook. You can search for your course textbook at : www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance/ If no textbook is listed, course material will be provided via e-mail.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student should be able to:
- Navigate the ORDBMS graphical user interfaces.
- Import and export various data formats.
- Normalize data into the first, second and third normal forms.
- Compare the hierarchically, network and relational database models.
- Read and create data models.
- Create database queries using the Structure Query Language (SQL).
- Create application that integrate ORDBMS libraries.
- Create Forms and Reports for an ORDBMS.
Effective as of Fall 2008
GIS Database Systems 1 (GIST 7132) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of GIS Database Systems 1 (GIST 7132)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.