- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
**This course is temporarily being fully funded for Canadian citizens and permanent residents by Canadian Colleges for a Resilient Recovery (C2R2) and the Government of Canada. Please contact Gurprit_Rajpal@bcit.ca for more information and to register.** This course combines theoretical studies with hands-on project work. Integrated with BCIT's virtual platform and experiential learning tool, this online course provides students with hands-on knowledge and understanding of foundational concepts in smart grid/microgrid technologies employed in renewable energy applications and the operation and maintenance of the microgrids, especially in remote and isolated communities. This online course intends to give learners the digital skills, introductory content, and basic familiarity, understanding, and opportunity to engage in the design process of their microgrids and exposure to the operation and maintenance of clean energy microgrids.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of APRE 3100 for the Winter 2024 term.
Fri Feb 16 - Sat Mar 16 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 91613
- Domestic fees $663.06International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Feb 16 - Mar 16
|09:00 - 13:00
|Feb 16 - Mar 16
|18:00 - 20:00
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course is part of a training initiative to provide workers with new skills needed to support a clean economy. **It is temporarily being fully funded for Canadian citizens and permanent residents by Canadian Colleges for a Resilient Recovery (C2R2) and the Government of Canada. Please contact Guprit Rajpal at Gurprit_Rajpal@bcit.ca for more information and to register.** If you do not have a BCIT student ID number and would like to take this microcredential, please create one first before emailing the SMART department with your registration request. Create one by clicking here: secure.bcit.ca/sis/reg/ Students Wrap-around Support: If you are interested in this course but do not have access to a computer or internet access, funding may be available to assist. Please contact Guprit Rajpal at Gurprit_Rajpal@bcit.ca for more information.
In Progress and Full
This course offering is in progress and full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain basic concepts of electrical systems;
- Explain basic theories such as Ohm's Law;
- Describe the basics of electricity generation;
- Understand and explain smart grid technologies;
- Evaluate safety guidelines and standards;
- Understand the fundamentals of system operation and maintenance;
- Review and extract information from technical sheets and users manuals;
- Apply the information provided by alarms, history reports, fault detection/diagnostics, or analytics; and
- Evaluate actions and strategies to use control systems to ensure efficient operations
Effective as of Winter 2024
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fundamentals: Clean Energy Power Plants, Operations & Maintenance (APRE 3100)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.