- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. The exact cost will be displayed prior to confirming registration.
This course provides an introduction to the relationships between construction drawings and building construction. The course goal is to enable students to read and interpret construction drawings, including Floor Plans, Roof Plans, Elevations, Building Sections, Framing Plans and Construction Details. Students will be able to understand the relationship and interdependencies of all drawings represented in contract documents. They will also become familiar with abbreviations, symbols and materials used in construction blueprints.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of ASCT 1015 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 12 - Thu Oct 12 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 46284
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Oct 12||Tue, Thu||15:00 - 18:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Department Contact: Samaneh Hashemi, Ph.D., P.Eng. Department Head 604-412-7473 Samaneh_Hashemi@bcit.ca This class has online live lectures on Tuesdays and Thursdays 1500-1800. Access LEARNING HUB (learn.bcit.ca) for class information and live class lecture schedule. Live lectures will be recorded.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe project delivery process, parties involved and their roles.
- Explain the principles, purpose & contents of the Construction Contract Document.
- Identify types of drawings comprising a set of contract documents and understand their relationships.
- Properly interpret Industry standards as they relate to symbols, abbreviations, schedules and drawing cross-references.
- Identify components of various types of structural framing systems.
- Identify components of various types of foundation systems.
- Interpret building sections drawings and apply appropriate material patterns.
- Properly organize multi-view drawings.
Effective as of Fall 2018
Blueprint Reading (ASCT 1015) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Architectural and Structural CADD and Graphics Technician (Structural Option)
- Construction Drawings
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Blueprint Reading (ASCT 1015)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.