Delivery Mode: ONLINE
- This program will be delivered online during COVID-19.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The BCIT Pediatric Nursing Specialty program is the only one of its kind in Canada. We educate students from around the world, and our certificate is recognized at every Canadian hospital and university. Our program gives you the skills employers seek.
Pediatric nursing is dedicated to the health and care of young people, ranging from babies to teenagers. Children, as patients, have unique healthcare needs that require specialized knowledge and expertise in their growth, illness, and injury. Pediatric nurses must also have excellent communication skills so they can provide a safe and supportive environment for young patients and their families. The Pediatric Critical Care option prepares nurses to work in the dynamic and highly specialized practice area of pediatric critical care nursing.
About the program
- Part-time, advanced certificate program that takes an average of 2.5 years to complete
- Distance and online learning gives you flexibility to learn at your own pace
- Two clinical preceptorship experiences that can be completed in pediatric practice areas in your community or province
Our program prepares you for a career in pediatric nursing. Visit Program Details for more information about our program design.
Who it’s for
This program is for individuals who:
- Are current practicing, registered nurses (RNs) wanting an advanced pediatric nursing certification to move to a critical care area or to complete their specialty Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) in pediatrics
- Are undergraduate nursing students currently completing an accredited BSN program
- Enjoy working directly with children and their families
- Have strong interpersonal and creative thinking skills, especially when communicating with young people
This specialty nursing program does not require relevant work experience. See Entrance Requirements to learn more about entry requirements.
Your work experience matters
At BCIT, we value your work experience. If you’ve been working as a pediatric nurse, take advantage of our Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) process and fast track your advanced certification education.
What grads can do
Our grads are in demand. See Graduating and Jobs to learn more about career opportunities in pediatric nursing.
Costs & Supplies
Face respirator fit testing – approx $25 per year; annual re-fitting required.
Total costs for materials within the Pediatric Specialty Nursing program is approximately $300.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads are ready
The BCIT Pediatric nursing specialty allows you to work anywhere in the world. Use our program to start your career in pediatric nursing or apply your new skills in your existing workplace.
Pediatric registered nurses combine technical nursing expertise with strong communication skills focused on youth. They primarily work in dedicated pediatric units in hospitals or community health centers but can also work in doctors’ offices and schools.
Positions start at approximately $36 per hour with opportunities available internationally. A typical day can involve:
- Physical assessments
- Educating families on care and prevention
- Designing home care plans for children with special needs
- Caring for children with chronic illness or injury
- Creating a safe environment for young patients
- Working closely with physicians on an on-going basis
Looking to get your BSN? Use your advanced certificate toward completing our Bachelors of Nursing, Specialty Nursing program.
Beginning in 2018, BCIT Specialty Nursing Advanced Certificate Graduates can apply to receive transfer credits towards the online, two-year UVIC Master of Nursing program. Applicants can chose from the Advanced Practice Leadership of Nurse Educator options.
Health Match BC
Health Match BC is a new service that helps recent specialty nursing graduates find work within BC. Funded by the provincial government, Health Match BC prioritizes the hiring of BC nursing graduates. For more information, download the Health Match BC [PDF].
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.