Delivery Mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The Emergency nursing specialty (emergency/critical care option) is a boutique program specifically designed for registered nurses (RNs). These RNs are working in community and rural hospitals and work primarily in emergency care, with some shifts in the intensive care unit.
Emergency courses and clinical experiences give you the skills to support the diverse array of illnesses and injuries you could see on a given shift. Our critical care courses educate you in strategies, such as advanced hemodynamic monitoring and mechanical ventilation, to optimize care and comfort for acutely ill patients.
About the program
- Part-time, advanced certificate program that takes an average of 2.5 years to complete
- Distance and online learning gives you flexibility to learn at your own pace while working
- Clinical experiences in emergency and critical care settings
Who it’s for
This program is for individuals who:
- Are RNs or those are completing their specialty BSN in emergency
- Are undergraduate nursing students currently completing an accredited BSN program
- Have six or more months of relevant work experience in an acute care setting
- Are able to make effective decisions while managing fast changing patient situations
- Are able to communicate well with their team, patients, and patients’ family
Does this sound like you? See Entrance Requirements to discover more about requirements and how to apply.
Are you looking for more critical care and intensive care unit (ICU) expertise with a foundation in emergency nursing? See BCIT’s Combined Critical Care and Emergency specialty option.
Your work experience matters
At BCIT, we value your work experience. If you’ve been working as a critical care or emergency nurse, take advantage of our Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) process and fast track your advanced certification education.
What grads can do
We prepare you to work in intensive care, cardiac care, and cardiac surgical units. See Graduating and Jobs to learn more about career opportunities.
Costs & Supplies
Face respirator fit testing – approx $25 per year; annual re-fitting required.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads are ready
At BCIT, we listen to what you need to do your job well. This combined program ensures you can provide the best patient care possible in the emergency department, while also supporting critically ill patients needing intensive care.
Registered nurses with the combined emergency and critical care specialty work in emergency departments with some shifts in the ICU. Salaries start at approximately $32 per hour. Grads can write the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) emergency nursing certification exam.
Looking to get your BSN? Use your advanced certificate toward completing our Specialty Bachelors of Nursing program.
Beginning in 2018, BCIT Specialty Nursing Advanced Certificate Graduates can apply to receive transfer credits towards the online, two-year UVIC Master of Nursing program. Applicants can chose from the Advanced Practice Leadership of Nurse Educator options.
Health Match BC
Health Match BC is a new service that helps recent specialty nursing graduates find work within BC. Funded by the provincial government, Health Match BC prioritizes the hiring of BC nursing graduates. For more information, download the Health Match BC [PDF].
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Toll-free: 800-663-6542 x 7094
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.