TREK – Travel reimbursement for enhancing knowledge
These grants are to increase opportunities for permanent faculty members (FSA and BCGEU) to attend conferences that specifically enhance teaching and support student learning.
Funding awarded for non-salary expenses (i.e., attending a workshop as a participant or purchasing resources) will be treated as expense reimbursement if paid for directly by the applicant. These payments are not treated as employment income and the applicant will be reimbursed the exact amount expended.
- If you are planning to attend the conference as a participant, you may apply for up to $1,000 to cover or help offset the costs*.
- If you are participating in a poster session, you may apply for up to $1,500.
- If you are an accepted presenter** on behalf of BCIT, you may apply for additional funds up to a maximum of $2,000*.
How to apply for TREK funding
Applications [DOC] may be submitted anytime from September 1 to May 31. Allow at least one month for a decision to be made.
Note: Approval from the Institution and the Committee is required for traveling. Do not travel and then ask for approval. Retroactive decisions will not be considered by the committee.
Please follow these steps to successfully complete the documentation that is required prior to your travel:
Step 1. Complete the Request for Approval to Travel – FIN23, which is also found in The Loop. In the search function on the Loop, enter Request for Approval to Travel – FIN23.
- The FIN23 form MUST be completed on-line.
- Once completed, save the document into your electronic files.
- Once saved, print the document and sign it on page 1, Part 3
Step 2. On page 2, Part 6, ensure you have your manager, and your PD co-ordinator sign as well.
Step 3. Send the form by way of interoffice mail to Glen Magel, Safety and Security for approval and sign off.
Step 4. When the FIN23 is returned to you, scan a copy of the FIN23 AND your TREK application form. Email these documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you cannot scan and send the signed forms, you can do the following:
- email the completed but unsigned TREK form as an attachment to email@example.com. Follow up by:sending a signed TREK paper copy AND your FIN23 through the interoffice mail to Faculty Development Co-ordinator, Learning and Teaching Centre SE12–203.
Step 5. Wait. It can take up to four weeks for your application to reach the committee for their consideration. Once a decision has been made, you will be informed by way of a letter. If you disagree with the decision you may write the chair of the committee, Scott Hagan and he will respond in writing to you.