The purpose of this course is to analyze and deploy visual communication techniques to solve communication problems. Parallels are drawn between verbal and visual rhetoric and tone, and students are taught the basics of visual brainstorming, developing and refining visual ideas. Course material includes effectively selecting and implementing colour, typefaces, images, and layout techniques in order to effectively convey complex messages using visual media.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XCOM 2040 for the Winter 2023 term.
Sat Feb 18 - Sat Mar 25 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 90372
Class meeting times
|Feb 18 - Mar 25||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE DELIVERY: This is not a self-paced course. There will be specific timelines for assignments and exams. You will have readings, discussions, peer review, and assignments to complete each week (although you do NOT have to be online at a particular time or on a particular day). On the start date of your class (not before), log into learn.bcit.ca to access your course link.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Visual Communication and Data Representation
- Evaluate and select Raster or Vector graphics according to your purpose and correctly set up files for output.
- Critique and apply visual rhetoric and tone in messages.
- Design and create visually accessible information using appropriate visual presentation techniques (alignment, proximity, colour, font, image treatment, white space, symbols)
- Write the critical justification for a visual solution to a communication problem.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Visual Communication and Data Representation (XCOM 2040) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Visual Communication and Data Representation (XCOM 2040)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.