This communication course familiarizes students with the role of professional editors in the contemporary workplace and introduces the principles, symbols and methods of copyediting and substantive editing. Students will spend a significant percentage of class time practicing their editing skills and fine tuning their understanding of grammar and mechanics. The course will help to prepare students for a typical competency test required by many employers for professional writing positions.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XCOM 1008 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Feb 23 - Thu Mar 30 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 90374
Class meeting times
|Feb 23 - Mar 30||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE DELIVERY: This is not a self-paced course. There will be specific timelines for assignments and exams. You will have readings, discussions, peer review, and assignments to complete each week (although you do NOT have to be online at a particular time or on a particular day). On the start date of your class (not before), log into learn.bcit.ca to access your course link.
This course offering is in progress. Please check this page for other currently available offerings or subscribe to receive email updates.
Below is one offering of XCOM 1008 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Thu Jul 13 - Thu Aug 17 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 68518
Class meeting times
|Jul 13 - Aug 17||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE DELIVERY: On the start date of your class (not before), log into learn.bcit.ca to access your course link. This is not a self-paced course. You will have specific deadlines to meet for the reading assignments and learning activities.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the role of professional editors in performing proofreading, basic copyediting, and substantive editing.
- Copy mark hard and soft copy.
- Perform basic copyediting to ensure documents are correct, consistent, accurate and complete.
- Edit quantitative and technical material.
- Perform substantive editing.
- Explain the importance of editing to style guides and editing considerations for globalization, localization and translation.
- Edit visual design and illustrations.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Technical Editing (XCOM 1008) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Technical Communication Essentials
- Technical Writing
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Technical Editing (XCOM 1008)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.