- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This communication course familiarizes students with the role of professional editors in the contemporary workplace and introduces the principles, symbols and methods of copyediting and substantive editing. Students will spend a significant percentage of class time practicing their editing skills and fine tuning their understanding of grammar and mechanics. The course will help to prepare students for a typical competency test required by many employers for professional writing positions. This course may be eligible for students to receive funding through the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant at www.bcit.ca/financial-aid/strongerbc-future-skills-grant. Students register themselves into the course, then apply for the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant to cover payment, if eligible.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XCOM 1008 for the Winter 2024 term.
Thu Feb 22 - Thu Mar 28 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 90374
- Domestic fees $339.88International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Feb 22 - Mar 28||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
COURSE DELIVERY: Asynchronous online learning. You don't have to log on to the computer at exactly the same time as your instructor or classmates. This is not a self-paced course. You will have specific deadlines to meet for the reading assignments and learning activities. On the start date of your class (not before), log into learn.bcit.ca to access your course link.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the role of professional editors in performing proofreading, basic copyediting, and substantive editing.
- Copy mark hard and soft copy.
- Perform basic copyediting to ensure documents are correct, consistent, accurate and complete.
- Edit quantitative and technical material.
- Perform substantive editing.
- Explain the importance of editing to style guides and editing considerations for globalization, localization and translation.
- Edit visual design and illustrations.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Technical Editing (XCOM 1008) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Technical Editing (XCOM 1008)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.